cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does GPS use data?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Almost all new phones have integrated GPS receivers these days.

Most new phones (the better ones) also have integrated GPS transmitters.

And the few new phones which do not have any dedicated GPS hardware can still mimic GPS functions, using the cellular network as a collective repeater array for triangulating GPS satellite timing signals.  (I admittedly don't really understand how that works, too many complexities and latencies and variables for me to grasp, but it somehow does work - it's just a little sluggish and innacurate when compared to embedded GPS hardware.)

I understand that GPS navigation apps will often use some data.  To constantly update maps if nothing else.  Not a lot of data, a trivial amount of data, but if you constantly use your GPS apps (when driving around and stuff) then it can all add up alarmingly quick.

But does the GPS signal itself use any cellular data bandwidth?

I'd like to know because I'm planning to tinker around with a bunch of IoT GPS modules and Pi GPS boards which I'd like to interface with some other handy devices (like my computers and cellphone).  I'll be running many, many GPS signals for days at a time and I'd like to be reassured that it won't count against my data limits, lol.

14 REPLIES 14

The GPS on my phone identifies itself as a Qualcomm Snapdragon S2 MSM8255 ASIC (MCUID "1.0GHz Qualcomm Scorpion ARMv7", GPS protocol "gpsOneGen 8 with GLONASS"), it uses the NMEA 0183 GPS standard.  After a day of constant use, it apparently does not consume (or bill me for) any cellular data when actively transceiving without running any data-dependant GPS-/location-related apps.

@PBForMe OK. I would do the experiment but cannot set those setting individually anymore. If you try it, let us know the result please.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

PBForMe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The trick @Luddite is to set the MMS portions of the APN but leave the APN portion blank, that's what I read a user did and it worked fine, MMS worked but no data. 

It's useful for users who don't want their phone using data but want MMS functionality. I've not tried this myself though. 

Data must be on and set correctly for MMS to function. The data consumed is not charged to your data plan; a data plan is not required for MMS on Public Mobile. With cellular data turned off only SMS messages can be sent/received.

@Korth I was suggesting data off only long enough for you to see if GPS tracks you. If it does, then GPS uses no data. As I said, my iPod can locate itself as long as there are wifi signals nearby even though it is not connected to any wifi signal.

Data must be on and set correctly for MMS to function. The data consumed is not charged to your data plan. A data plan is not required for MMS on Public Mobile. With cellular data turned of only SMS messages can be sent/received.

@Korth I was suggesting data off only long enough for you to see if GPS tracks you. If it does, then GPS uses no data. As I said, my iPod can locate itself as long as there are wifi signals nearby even though it is not connected to any wifi signal.

PBForMe

@Korth I've read that you can just edit your apn and remove everything but the MMS entries and your MMS messages will work but data will not.

Specifically, keep the MMSC/MMS parts but remove the actual APN, sp.mb.com and you should have no working data but working MMS.

@Luddite

Good advice.  Except that I've tested the phone with cellular data off while sending/receiving txt msgs with media attachments - it sometimes doesn't send them (pending until data is active), it sometimes does send them (and consumes data).

I don't know if this quirky behaviour is caused by the hardware on the cellular network (or networks) the messages bounce across, or if it's caused by the (known to still be slightly buggy) aftermarket "Android 4.0" CyanogenMod9 firmware my device is running, or if it extends hidden data consumption to the GPS functions.  Hard datasheets for the components in this device are not public domain, so I think it prudent to prepare for the worst before linking my rampant electronic workshop projects and my cellular data bill together, lol, I'm not a mobile internet junky but I do need to have some data (and some money) available at all times on my phone.

@Korth Just turn wifi and cellular data off and see if you get GPS positioning; on either Google or Here maps you see a geeen dot for current position if found. Some devices, like iPod, get positioning from local wif signals.

Thank you all for the prompt responses Smiley Happy

I'm still going to finish the test runs today then check my data usage/bill for the next few days, just to confirm my GPS projects aren't going to destroy my data plan, lol.  But, based on everything I've been able to read online so far, @PBForMe appears to be correct.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree with @PBForMe, GPS itself does not use data. On my old plan (with Bell), I did not have any data yet was able to use my phone's GPS for navigation apps (offline maps) and fitness apps.

PBForMe

GPS does not use data, navigation apps that require a server connection do use data. You can happily use GPS in a phone without a sim card. 

If you need offllne navigation you need to grab an app that supports it, like Here Maps, which allows you to download the navigation data for your province on WiFi or whatever then the app will never use data.

So, you can use GPS navigation and zero bandwidth as long as your navigation app supports offline navigation. 

As far as I'm aware, Here Maps has the best offline navigation app at the moment and I use it all the time. 

On Android, make sure you set your location settings to 'device only' aka only GPS, or you'll also be using `network location data` which does use data.

Even when you enable the GPS transceiver but don't run any apps which make use of the location data?

(I'm trying this now, and will have to continue doing it for several hours.  I can measure frequency traffic on a spectrum analyzer, but I cannot determine in advance which signals are and are not going to be seen on my cellular data bill.)

Hi. The answer is YES. GPS does use Data

Korth
Mayor / Maire

(Amending my previous post: I understand the technical aspects fairly well, my confusion stems from the fact that mobile phones are massively consumerized and cellphone service providers are notorious for monetizing every scrap of bandwidth that passes through their cellphone antenna hardware.  Public Mobile is a great little company, but it's still in the business of making money off communications, lol.)

Need Help? Let's chat.