cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do prices stick if signing up for a promo?

Numotiv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey thinking about switching. If I jumped on a plan at a promo rate and set auto renew am I paying that amount for as long as I keep paying or will the price change after the promo?

15 REPLIES 15

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Numotiv wrote:

I currently have 10gb at $115 with Rogers and I'm just sick of paying that much for a plan. Especially since I usually only use 5gb.

Essentially the answer is (as other said) "prices can always change". But these are not first-month-discounted offers, which may be what you're asking. If you sign up for today's $50/8GB plan, it will be $50 again in 30 days (actually $48 because you'll sign up for autopay). 

PM could always change (with 30 days notice) and it's happened before, though for the most part they've been incremental changes like a few dollars a month, and I'm sure youre Rogers pricing isn't guaranteed forever either. I think some of the current plans have a 500MB "bonus" which I guess would be the first thing thrown overboard.

You have essentially 4 plans to choose from with 3G data speeds, Canada-wide calling, and international texts, I think:

$40/4.5GB

$45/6GB

$50/8GB

$50/6.5GB+(calls to US)

=aw

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

They will change your plan any time they want, take a look at the old thread, there were a chaos.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Numotiv,

Just to eliminate any possible confusion.  Public Mobile, and any other cell phone provider, can change their price plans at any given time.  With that said, these companies don't always change existing customer's price plan on a regular basis, in fact it's quite rare.  I used to work for a wireless company years ago and existing customers would be on the same price plan for years (i'm even talking like 10 years or more).  Usually unless there are major infrastructure changes and you'd be forced to change plans and SIM to ensure great service, but I don't see that happening now that PM is completely on the Telus grid, and have been so for awhile now.  

So to sum up, you can jump on a plan you like and don't worry about PM forcing you to change plans, it's a very rare scenario, but of course technically it can happen at any time just like any other provider can.  But think about it, have you ever been forced to change plans before, and if so was it a frequent thing you had to do?  So PM wouldn't be any different.  The window they give you is for you to activate to get that plan, but once you get it it's pretty much yours until you change plans again.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Numotiv, it is arguably a disadvantage to select a 90 day plan.  If there is any unfavorable price movement, a shorter term could make leaving less painful if an immediate exit is warranted.  Even if a 90 day plan was selected, this strategy would only protection against price increase for up to an extra 60 days.  This arithmetic is based on a price increase being announced within the first 30 days of the cycle.  If the increase was announced within the last 30 days of the 90 day cycle, it would no different than having a 30 day plan.  The strategy doesn't really work so well. 

justinbeaudoin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

[Please delete this post]

@popping, but that’s a promo that is being offered, and you’re choosing to make the change.

@Numotiv, I believe is concerned about a price change on the plan they decide to lock in on.  That locked in price stays until they wish to change, port out, or Public Mobile decides to increase with 30 days notice.  Like they tried earlier this year with Fall 2016 Promos, or the older Legacy and Pioneer plans.

This rash of promos this summer have not happened this frequently since I came in summer 2016.  The ability to get better options for the same or less cost is great.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker

OP were worry about price increase and planning to get a 90 days plan.  What I said was that price change is a two way street.  It may go up and go down.  For my situation, I got extra 500MB data with the new promo paying the same $45/30days.

@Numotiv, any of the special offers should suit you nicely if that’s the case.

Note, the special offers are not available in 90-day cycles.  The equivalent 90-day build your own, or as close as you can get them, are not going to save you much, if any money.

@popping, I hope you’re not confusing Promotion changes with locked in plan price increases.  You’ve decided to change your plan, for the same cost because it was a better deal.

If someone locks in and continues to renew it, the price will not change until you are notified by text message with at least 30 day notice.

Numotiv

I'm not too concerned about speed. I browse the web and stream music. Nothing that requires huge speeds .I currently have 10gb at $115 with Rogers and I'm just sick of paying that much for a plan. Especially since I usually only use 5gb.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Numotiv

It is up to you.

I activated a $45/5,5GB/30 days plan 35 days ago.  I renewed my plan a few days ago at $45 less my autopay and reward credits.  Today, PM is offering $45/6GB/30 days plan which I will switch to the new plan paying the same $45 with extra 500MB data.

Therefore, price goes up and goes down.  There is no guarantee.  

With the PM to Koodo migration is going on for the last few months, I prefer the shorter renewal as I do not know whether my referees will stick around in 90 days.

@Numotiv, the better deals are on 30 day cycles, and the price will not change until you are given at least 30 day notice by yeux message.

You will have at least a year at the price you sign up for.  I’m currently about 22 months in on my plan.

There are some pretty sweet deals for throttled LTE data plans, speeds are 3G approximation.  All data is on LTE network, so do not be confused about the 3G speeds... it’s still LTE, just slower than full LTE.

justinbeaudoin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't think the new $40/$45 plans they have on promo are for more than 30 days. At least it was explained to me that this was the case when I bought the other day.

Long live the cheap plans, that's all I can say 😉

Numotiv

So my best bet would be to grab a 90 day plan then to insure that price for at least 3 months?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Numotiv Correct. Price can change anytime if PM decides to, so not 100% guarantee for that.

Need Help? Let's chat.