cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do data add-on purchases still roll over?

BDover
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The wording on the website now explicitly says data add-on purchases expire 30 days after purchase. 

Can anyone confirm this is true or is it just another cosmetic issue with the website?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Sleekspeed
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is unfortunate.  What providers are others looking at?  

BDover

Totally agreed. This feels like a giant "we don't want you" message to light users. As far as I can tell, they didn't even offer the courtesy of warning/notifying customers in advance about this massive policy change. People that have been using data addons for a long time are just being told to either pay up or get out.

I've already signed myself and my family up for a different provider

JohnDoe3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's enough to make me look for an alternative. Between the $15/m plan and various discounts, I've been enjoying modest data connectivity and making up for momentary shortfalls with the data add-on. If they're going to expire it now, that just seems like a cash grab on light users and people who don't go for higher tiers. At that point, if I'm consistently running short and rolling off the end of the month, I might as well go for a higher tier, but that's precisely against the point of having a budget service.

This change is enough to have me and my horde of referrals looking for a different provider.

@BDover 

I guess it only made sense to lose out on some features in order to gain other benefits... looks like Telus wants to take out another competitor with a similar type of platform. chatr and lucky have been lagging behind pm for a while now... it's kohos new phone provider mascot they're after

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BDover data add-ons you purchased before the changes were rolled out still roll over until used, only new data add-ons purchased going forward expire after 30 days.

BDover

I'm aware the website now says they expire in 30 days, but the website is also full of cosmetic issues at the moment and a change like this seemed more likely to be another cosmetic problem than actually what they meant to do.

I'm still in disbelief that they just axed it silently like that. I wonder how many people are in for a shock when their current addons expire

XionBunny

@DDM69 I know they haven't altered the minute add-ons as of yet, I was saying if they decide to in the future that would be one of the final nails in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

DDM69

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Okay... I understand the change is related to add on purchases of data.

However, I logged in to my self serve about an hour ago to pretend to buy a data add-on and the messaging was that it will roll over.

Are they potentially having a change of heart?

I will double check again tomorrow- could have been another ridiculous glitch.  😒

BDover

Thanks for the link! They sure are trying to sweep this change under the rug.

I was one button press away from subscribing, luckily I saw a reddit post about this and decided to look in to it.

@BDover wrote:

Thanks, any chance you could link me to their post? I've looked and searched everywhere but I can't find it

Here it is: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Old-Rewards-Program/m-p/984461/highlight/...

XionBunny

if they make minutes expire then I really have no reason to stay, that and if we all have the sad news that the holiday bonus never happens again.

BDover

Thanks, any chance you could link me to their post? I've looked and searched everywhere but I can't find it

Really disappointing to hear as that was really the only real selling point for Public. Also disappointing that they're keeping it such a secret

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BDover   No, the data add-on bought as of today will only last for 30 days.  This was confirmed earlier by Community manager

But voice addon still has no expiry date

Need Help? Let's chat.