cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn’t receive emergency alert while Roaming in US

Rylan2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a free US roaming plan and have enjoyed using my data like at home. I’ve been staying near Las Vegas using Verizon and T-Mobile 5G which work great. A couple days ago there was an emergency alert issued for my location. All my family’s phones and tv’s got the alert. I was connected to 5G at the time and didn’t get it at all. 
any ideas why this is?

6 REPLIES 6

Rylan2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It was a flash flood warning. I have a 12 mini which should be compatible. One of my family members that didn’t have data roaming didn’t get it. They just had talk and text.

@slusagm wrote:

you should have got it.  But I guess it is not a big issue.  If you think that bother you, submit ticket with PM and ask

It's not a PM issue though. That's an FCC issue. Canadian Telco's can't do anything if American emergency broadcasts aren't reaching Canadians while in the US. The OP should be filing their concerns with T-Mobile and FCC.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Rylan2 wrote:

I have a free US roaming plan and have enjoyed using my data like at home. I’ve been staying near Las Vegas using Verizon and T-Mobile 5G which work great. A couple days ago there was an emergency alert issued for my location. All my family’s phones and tv’s got the alert. I was connected to 5G at the time and didn’t get it at all. 
any ideas why this is?

That shouldn't have happened.  Emergency alerts should be recieved on compatible device even if you had no cell phone plan or even no SIM card in your phone.

According to Canada Telcoms...

If the country that you are visiting supports wireless alerting, then you may receive the alert, provided your phone is powered on and WPA compatible. Canadian wireless service providers are not responsible for alerts that are broadcast outside of Canada.

So the phone has to be WPA compatible. But also states that you "may" receive the alert. 

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

you should have got it.  But I guess it is not a big issue.  If you think that bother you, submit ticket with PM and ask

@Rylan2 wrote:

any ideas why this is?

That shouldn't have happened.  Emergency alerts should be recieved on compatible device even if you had no cell phone plan or even no SIM card in your phone.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

We don't get US Public Alerts on our Canadian phones. Yes, we are using a US network but it's only subject to American Telcos.

Need Help? Let's chat.