cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data when on a call?

___
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

when I make a phone call or receive a phone call with pm, I can’t surf the web at the same time (using the data 3G) is this normal?  It only starts working once I end the call. This is not the case with other carriers/ providers - it only happens with PM. Thoughts?

17 REPLIES 17

messenabout
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just to let you know, I've never had a problem like yours. I often do other things using data while I'm on a phone call.

you can't use LTE while on a phone call with PM. once we switch to the 3g the network we are on is 3g

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@___ 

Can you use 4G LTE data and make a phone call? I never tried using 3G network data and try to make a phone call....assuming that you can only use either data or voice calling on the same network at the same time. I have no problem using mobile data (4G LTE) and voice calling (3G)at the same time.

___

@LeePublic i’ve tried it with different model phones all from Apple .. and I get the same result, no data communication when on an active call even though it says 3G the moment you hang up the apps and surfing start to work again 

___

@darlicious no, talk and surf on the same Sim - the public mobile Sim. I tried it with multiple phones all from Apple and it does not work. The moment you hang up, the data surfing starts working. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@___ 

Are you trying to surf the web on one sim card and have a conversation on the other sim card? That as far as I know is not possible at least on an Android phone.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What model is your phone @___ 

@___ wrote:

Maybe it’s because PM doesn’t support LTE, which is required for voice and data (voice LTE??)

That isn't the case.  LTE isn't required to use data. Also, Public Mobile does support LTE, but just not VoLTE  I'm also very doubtful that your issue is because of your device.  I see this as likely a network issue.  Of late, I've found the HSPA network to be very unreliable, and I see your issues as likely related to HSPA newtork capacity. There might be just enough capacity in your area for the HSPA to carrry voice calls, but not enough leftover after that for a usable data connection.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@___ - blank username, that's trippy. 🙂

Guessing this is a device issue, maybe?

Can you try your SIM card into another phone to see if the issue is the same?

What setting is your mobile connections set to? Is it 3G ONLY? 

Maybe try the autoconnect one, or what other options do you have available?

esjliv_0-1622501638903.png

I'll throw out there to try a restart of the phone, and perhaps perform a reset of the device's network settings as well.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

It works for me on a Samsung S9 but ehat you said wouod seem logical so not wuite sure why its working for some and not for others 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @___   3G can talk and surf the web at the same time.  What phone you have?   

2G was the only that not support simultaneous voice and data, but you wouldn't be using 2G on PM

___

Dual sim iPhone 

NightsRanger

I have never heard of that happening. It does not happen when I do it, is there a chance it's your phone?

___

Maybe it’s because PM doesn’t support LTE, which is required for voice and data (voice LTE??)

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@___   you can talk and surf at the same time in 3G.  But please note that PM uses 3G on voice only, so when you are on a voice call, your data connection will change from 4G to 3G to accommodate the voice calls

if you cannot do 2 things at the same time, it is either a network issue around your area.  Try it in other area 

Or it could be your phone.  What phone was that?  i heard some people with Note 4 had that issue before, it was the problem with teh modem 

___

Could be …latest iPhone ??

NightsRanger

I have never heard of that happening. It does not happen when I do it, is there a chance it's your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.