cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data use during sleeping hours

BoyRacer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was just checking my account to see how much data I have been using to see if it is worth switching plans only to discover that my data usage only seems to be while I am sleeping (in my own house where the phone would be connected to wi-fi). Is the time stamp on the data usage the actual time it was used or a summary for the day (which seems unusual as it seems to be twice each night), or is something going wrong? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Shan15
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Try to enable data saver option. Then, next click on refresh icon on data usage. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@BoyRacer 

As a self-test, just switch to airplane mode when retiring for the evening.

You'll likely still see data seemingly consumed during sleeping hours - when in fact it's just being posted to the usage summary.

While the data there is only updated twice daily, the data displaying in your data allotment on the self-serve landing page under Plan Usage and Add-On Usage is pretty much updated in real time.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BoyRacer , what model of phone are you using.  Both iOS and android have some form of WiFi assist where the mobile data connection is always on and if there is any interruptions in WiFi, mobile data is consumed.  It is possible to turn this feature off.  If you are referring to the data usage history shown in your self serve account, that is an aggregate amount logged twice a day (I think).  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BoyRacer 

Your data updates twice daily  in your usage pages in two 12 hour blocks of time usually after midnight eastern. This is not when you actually use the data but represents that data usage of the previous day from midnight to noon and noon to midnight.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@BoyRacer How much data usage are you seeing overnight? Some phones like iPhones disable WiFi when phone is sleeping for a while to save battery. There are some apps that do background activities that might be using your data. To check which apps are using data overnight, reset data usage in your phone settings before you go to bed. Then see which app consumed data in the morning. 

Need Help? Let's chat.