cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage does not add up

msuwala
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have received a text message that I have used up 75% of my 5GB; this was a surprise to me, the plan has just renewed on October 25, 2021. When I look at the usage history, this does not add up with what is stated in the usage area. Thanks for your help in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@msuwala 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@msuwala wrote:

I have received a text message that I have used up 75% of my 5GB; this was a surprise to me, the plan has just renewed on October 25, 2021. When I look at the usage history, this does not add up with what is stated in the usage area. Thanks for your help in advance.

@msuwala 

IF this does not match what you see in your Overview, I would ignore the text message.

If it does match Go to Settings > Cellular and you can see how much data you've used within each of your list of your apps. 

I would recommend that look at your usage history. You should be able to see when this data was being used...large chunks or little bits here and there once you scroll through all the pages.

NOTE though, today's detail usage will not fully be posted until tomorrow morning. So you will likely not get the full usage listed for today yet.

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. I am sure there is one for Apple to track this. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@softech 

My phone is very accurate. My plan has 250mb and I have nearly 20GB of add on data on the account. I rarely use it all but my on occasion go over 50mb or 100mb. I was searching for photos of some pick up orders I had made so I used a fair amount of data searching for them while at the store to pick them up because a friend with a vehicle offered a ride otherwise I would have had them all in order before I left home ( too many photos on my google account!!).

Screenshot_20211105-184847.pngScreenshot_20211105-184941.pngScreenshot_20211105-184903.png

@darlicious   that High Data Usage warning is not too useful.  For you it specify that Photo has used more data than usual.  But for mine, it just says I am  using more than usual.  it wasn't based on % of the limit set.. it just based on whatever pattern they analyzed .. for sure not because I used 50% or 75% or what.  So, i simply ignore it.  I still follow my use data limit I set using the Data Usage and my Data Widget

@Anonymous 

You mean like this on my moto g7+?Screenshot_20211105-182528.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@msuwala : Did this 75% come from 611? Or was it a kind of message that showed up on the phone?

Maybe I should test out that phone setting and see what it says and how. I'm curious to see how it looks. Later.

@msuwala 

As long as your usage looks normal in your self serve account then you can safely ignore the text message as it was sent out erroneously. If your self serve account is showing 75% usage but your daily usage pages and/or your phone's data tracker with the correct 30 day dates set show 75% data usage then your data counter may not have reset upon renewal. If that is the case then contacting customer support to reset your data tracker is in order.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@msuwala wrote:

@msuwala   are you on Android?  If so, Android has a mobile data usage page that can track your current usage.  You just need to set the start date to match your PM cycle start date.

Or, I suggest to download some Mobile usage tracker:

Android: Data witness PM;   Data Usage Manager & Monitor (formally : Data Counter Widget ) 

iOS:  My Data Manager

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM tracks data based on a 30 day period and not monthly.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @msuwala 

Please log into your self-serve account and look at this area of the landing page for the MOST ACCURATE representation of data allotment remaining:

HALIMACS_0-1636155881888.png

If you're using your device's data tracker / counter, be aware that it may be utilizing calendar month data only.   

One way to ensure the data tracker on a device is accurate is to 'reset' the counter on each cycle renewal date.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Most reliable data status is what you see after logging in into your PM account.

These SMS might be incorrect and you are not the first to complain.

BUT if you really used that much since Oct 25th, check what your phone is doing in terms background data usage, watching videos, playing games, etc.

Some activities just eat data in no time.

Need Help? Let's chat.