cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working in most urban parts of USA

petersun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased a $20 USA roaming add-on for my trip several days ago. After landing in the USA, I found that calling and texting worked all the time; however, the data portion of my roaming plan only worked in the rural areas. In large cities, my phone would show "T-Mobile E" (where I assume "E" is some sort of error), whereas in rural areas, my phone would show "T-Mobile 3G." As a result, I was practically unable to use any of my data. The data that I did manage to use involved trying to connect to the internet, for which I was mostly unsuccessful.

I understand that T-Mobile has turned off much of their 3G network. But since my phone is 4G compatible (it's an iPhone SE 2nd Gen), I don't see why it wouldn't work in urban US cities? I am slightly disappointed that I purchased a data roaming add-on but was unable to use it during almost my entire trip.

5 REPLIES 5

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@petersun 

Aha....that indeed would cause a problem using data but it is good to know that in some areas there is still a 3G network to connect to and reasonably good access to use voice services. Thank you for that valuable feedback.

petersun

I think this was the problem. I looked at the settings and it seems like it's on 3G. I will switch it to LTE the next time I use roaming in the United States. Thank you.

petersun

Yes, it was enabled. I made sure it was turned on prior to starting the trip. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to access 3G networks in rural Utah.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@petersun 

I'm surprised you had that level of 3G connectivity. Was your phone network setting on automatic? (4G LTE/3G/2G) It should normally stay connected to the 4G LTE network like it does here and only switch to 3G or 2G (on T-Mobile only) for calling. AT&T would remain on 4G LTE only. 

Here's a little more info on US Roaming and Public Mobile....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Are you certain Cellular Data Roaming was enabled on your phone ?

edit...I've enjoyed using my roaming data whilst in Wa state without issues such as yours.

Need Help? Let's chat.