cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data add-ons and bonuses

cnr5154
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an unused 2GB one-time data bonus. I was going to purchase an extra 3GB data add-on for an upcoming trip (5GB total).  The disclaimer for the add-on says "The change will take effect immediately ... and your current promotions will no longer be valid."  Is the 2GB one-time bonus considered to be a promotion?  i.e. would the 3GB  add-on cancel the 2GB bonus?  Or are they cumulative?  Would the system use the 2GB first, then the 3GB?  The bonus has no expiry whereas the purchased add-on expires in 30 days.  Thanks for any clarification.

14 REPLIES 14

cnr5154

@hTideGnow Yes, the 30-day expiry is understood.  That's one of the reasons I was concerned about it triggering a cancelation of the no-expiry 2GB bonus.  Thanks!

cnr5154

@dust2dust Sorry for the incorrect terminology. It's stuck in my head from old Telus plan years ago

cnr5154

That's why I was wondering. The disclaimer is on the buy page for add-ons, so it never occurred to me that it would be plan-related.

Just to be picky so you know and realize, this place is not pay as you go, it's a 30 day plan.
So yes the add-ons expire after 30 days. I haven't seen for a while whether the days still increase if you buy another one. I suggest buying the 200mb one and buy more if needed until your renewal. Then the plan data will get used again. If you buy the 1gb or 3gb then you could waste some of it unless you use up your plan data again before the add-on expires.

HI @cnr5154 

you have a choice to buy the 1GB data add-on, but data add-on expires after 30 days.  You can wait till you really running low on data and then buy the data add-on at that time

cnr5154

Thanks for quick response. Much appreciated!

cnr5154

Trip is in Canada, I just won't have wifi access for part of it, so wanted to increase mobile data limit.  I'm just on monthly 1GB pay-as-you-go.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

That fine print is a endnote (footnote) referring to plan changes. That's what the 1 in front is for. It's not relevant to add-on purchases.
That 2gb data is not the promo type add-on anyway.
Is this trip in Canada?

@esjliv   Good question, I think the 3GB add on is for the USA, in which case will the 2GB bonus data even work outside Canada?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@cnr5154 - is your trip within Canada, or is it in the USA, or elsewhere? This will matter depending on where you are going and what type of plan you currently have.

@Phil_Adelphus 

The only impacts to activation promotions are generally plan changes.

And even with that, it's generally only plan changes to a lesser value since most activation promotions are of a mid-high plan value so they don't want customers switching down to much cheaper plans afterwards, otherwise they may forfeit their activation promotion.

The messaging may pop up for add-on purchases, however I don't think it's in any way relevant and just one of those silly alarming messages that causes undue confusion. 

@HALIMACS  "The change will take effect immediately ... and your current promotions will no longer be valid"  is what made me think of a change in plan rather than an add on.  Does that message also come up for add ons?  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@cnr5154

Purchasing the 3 GB add-on will have no impact to your 2 GB

Your added add-on will be consumed before the gifted/promotional add-on.

If for any reason that did not occur, after the fact simply contact Public Mobile customer support staff and they will make things right. Given the expiry of the data add-ons, they should absolutely be consumable first beyond your regular plan data.

Here's how to contact support staff should you wish to receive official confirmation or contact after the fact:

To contact a Customer Support Agent, send a private message to Customer Support Agent by clicking here.  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar, or tap your Avatar down in Messages.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@cnr5154  It sounds like you are looking at changing to a new plan rather than purchasing an add on.  A data add on would expire but a plan would continue as long as you keep paying for it every 30 or 90 days whichever fits the chosen plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.