cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Overage

maisiemanzer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, my account is showing that all my data is used up. My cycle is Aug 22, 2022 - Nov 20, 2022. I’ve never come close to using 6GB in my life. Checked my phone data usage and it doesn’t show the usage either. Seems like every night at 12:30 am (when we’re asleep) it’s using 250-300mb based on the public usage history

13 REPLIES 13

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, I've heard turning off notifications for apps you don't particularly care about can save more data, since it's not "checking" in that case until you open the app. This can save battery too, which was how I learned this but both apply. Every "check" is battery and data/WiFi

@maisiemanzer    Do you have data limiter set on your phone?  That will stop you from using more data than what limit you've set.  First can you confirm if you see data available or not in your self serve account using incognito mode?

@maisiemanzer Honest,  it's hard to say.  Sometimes we use too much without even knowing (like how we spent our $$ LoL)

I suggest you to keep the habit of reset the data statistics at the beginning of each cycle

go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics.

Then it is easier to compare the usage that way.  Or you can use app like My Data Manager,which would help to reset  the cycle automatically 

And how far you are away from your next cycle?  If you need extra data, you will have to buy Data Add-on.  $5 for 200Mb or $15 for 1GB

maisiemanzer

I get it, but my cellular data stats for the past year barely adds up to 6GB ☹️

@maisiemanzer   for iPhone, you cannot really tell the usage with the Data usage page UNLESS you reset the data statistics at the beginning of each cycle. 

If you did not reset your data usage , you cannot really tell if PM recorded the usage wrong.  From experience PM has been recording the data correctly most the time.  

Any chance you might have watch some clips that might have used quite some data?  Maybe you had updated apps or OS update and used the data?

Also, iPhone has Wifi-Assist.  Check if it was enabled.  That is a data killer.  Wifi-Assist will switch to mobile data whenever the Wifi is weak.  So, you could have used up some data without even aware of that

maisiemanzer

iPhone 

@maisiemanzer   are you on Android or iPhone?

maisiemanzer

I have none as it’s cut off. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@maisiemanzer wrote:

Hi, my account is showing that all my data is used up. My cycle is Aug 22, 2022 - Nov 20, 2022. I’ve never come close to using 6GB in my life. Checked my phone data usage and it doesn’t show the usage either. Seems like every night at 12:30 am (when we’re asleep) it’s using 250-300mb based on the public usage history

@maisiemanzer 

Public Mobile systems populate the self-serve site twice a day for data consumed in the preceding 12-hour period.  This is why you're seeing data at times you know you may not be actively using it.

Try resetting your device's data counter.   Depending on your device, it should definitely display which apps and services are using data.  You should be able to sort it by usage and alphabetically by name.

@maisiemanzer   You won't be able to get the proper data usage as mentioned by softech due to your 90 day plan cycle.  If you log into your account using incognito or private mode, then you should be able to see exactly how much data you still have available.

maisiemanzer

This would affect the actual data? I can only access data on wifi

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@maisiemanzer 

First, the transaction at 12:30am does not mean you used the amount of data at that time.  PM only update the data usage around twice a day.  So, for any entry, the data amount shown is the usage between that timestamp and the timestamp of the previous entries

And I do not think your phone can show you 3 months usage, usually Android phone can show only one month usage, unless you have some app helping to record the usage.  But it still worth to use the phone counter, set the cycle start date to say like  Sept 15th and then check the usage since

On the PM My Account side, check the Usage history using Incognito mode.  But do not use the filter there, the filter does not work properly.  What you need to do is to download the full usage (click download on top right) in XLS format, then use Excel to filter the data usage.  You can then sum up the data from whatever date you want.    If you are comparing the data used since Sept 15th as I said before, just sum up all the usage since that date

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@maisiemanzer   It could be caching issues the site is having since PM updated the self serve, so log into your account by clearing cache/cookies and using incognito mode or another browser.  You can also try to refresh the page by clicking on the refresh option bottom right of your account.

edit:  BTW, the phone and account data usage may differ if you've not synced the dates from your plan renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.