cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA USAGE

jdenommee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How is it that I am already at 75% data usage and I do not use it? I only use it from my home intenet. I also did not have my phone for the last week or two.  I have received data usage message in the past as well.

6 REPLIES 6

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

take my number out of there @softech !!

🤣

JL9
Mayor / Maire

It has also been known to happen that those messages go out in error and don't truly reflect what data you have available. Your self serve account will tell you exactly what is left

@dabr  🙂  I don't know any of those numbers.  LoL

@softech   I'm guessing the tel. numbers under Originating/Destination are fake in your screenshot? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jdenommee   

Please note the unexpected usage could be because there are features like Adaptive Wifi or Wifi Assist.  Those are new features on you phone to automatically switch to Data if you have a Weak Wifi signal.  Check if that was what happened

Also, PM cycle does not start on the first of each month.  In fact, the cycle start date keeps changing, because it is using 30 days cycle.  So, you could be on a 3rd or 4th week of the current cycle.

For the usage, you need to confirm couple things first

Login to My Account, check the Overview page, there will be a line about Data in My Data & Add-ons, check if you see a line about data like the following, it will tell you how much data you used:

E-MyAcc-$15Plan Add-ons.png

Then you can go to Usage History and then filter from the beginning of the current cycle and look for Web Traffic.  You can briefly sum up if the number is correct.  (Again, check your current PM cycle start date.  Also  do not trust the sorting feature there, it looks sorted, but it is not.  So, really go through each page):

MyAcct-UsageHistory-Alltype.jpg

Now, if you are on Android, you can check against your Mobile data usage and see if it matches.  To make it works, you have to change the cycle starts data on your data counter on your phone to match your PM cycle start date on this month

(if you are on iOS, although there is a data usage there, but it cannot easily tracc back if you did not reset the counter on the exact date of the beginning of this cycle, so, it is not very useful to trace back)

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jdenommee 

Which plan are you on? If on the lower plans like $15 plan with 250 mb data, it is quite easy to use up data unexpectantly.  You can check your actual data usage in your self service account. PM's data counter is usually fairly accurate.  

Here is some more information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Turn off features like Wifi assist. Turn off background data on most apps..  

It is possible that sometimes home wifi gets disrupted and then you will use your data from your phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.