cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruise Ship Coverage - Caribbean

feenerjames
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'll be taking a Caribbean cruise next month that will be visiting the US Virgin Island and Puerto Rico.   I plan to purchase the US talk, text and data package (wish there was a bundle that included more data - seems odd you can't purchase two packages at the same time).  I've read that some have been able to make/receive phone calls/texts while at sea.  Has anyone had any recent experiences onboard a cruise ship?

I'd also like to leave my cell service on so I can take advantage of the US add-on while in port or within range of land-based coverage.  Do I need to be concerned that I will be charged extra if a call happens to go through the ship's cell service instead of on-shore service?  

6 REPLIES 6

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I cruise regularly. Hopefully your reception is good on land as long as you follow the tips given by the other community members. If the ship is reasonably close to land you will still have some service for phone calls. Use wifi from stores or restaurants when possible. Ship wifi can be very helpful if you don’t have to pay a lot. Good luck and enjoy. 🛳

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I doubt you will get any service at sea as even 'normal' service is very spotty on USA land. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@softech- If one is within say 15 miles of a tower then one can get service. More so due to the clear line of sight.

Have you read of (or had) actual experiences of roaming on those islands or are you going by the marketing alone?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@feenerjames 

No worry, PM is prepaid service.   If it works and you got the addon ahead, then it will work.  If it does not work,  it won't charge you extra  unless you have bought it

But honest, it won't work at all while you are at seas

and YES the US roaming will work in US Virgin Island and Puerto Rico

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

When you are in the states set the phone to manual networks and connect to T-Mobile. The ship cell service won't do anything anyway because you're not a subscriber.

The bundle has 250 as you know. When it's out then you can buy a data add-on. Try to focus on buying the add-on at the top of whatever hour so that you know exactly when the 240 hours is up.

Please do let us know your experiences on those US islands.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@feenerjames 

No there won't be any extra charges if the roaming works while on board ship or off.

Need Help? Let's chat.