cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage different than Telus?

Curtis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was with Telus for years, and always had service anywhere in my house.   Now that I've switched to PM, I get absolutely NO service in my basement.  Ever.  It's been over a month now. 

Why is this the case, when they supposedly use the same towers? (Basically the same company)

I'm regularly getting disconnected from the Network, even when traveling around the city.  I have to re-boot to get connected again. Never had to do this with Telus.  (Same phone, btw). 

17 REPLIES 17

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

There is no prioritization on Bell-owned sites for any users (Bell, Telus, etc), and I am 99.9% sure it's the same on the Telus-owned sites.

Can't speak for the core network, but the towers absolutely do not prioritize different users.

Coverage is 100% due to towers (i.e.  Radio Access Network, RAN, or eNodeB in the LTE network).

@bryanbreguet thanks for your reply! This is what I'm getting at, and unless someone is truly on the inside (an employee of Telus making the decisions), you're only speculating when you say "the networks are identical". I do think there's priority given, even though nobody is officially saying it!

@sheytoon Yes, Telus, Koodo and PM have then same coverage, but could there be priority given to the network? Telus first, Koodo second, and PM third? I mentioned in another post that Telus removed their towers from my apartment building this year, and I've noticed a 1-2 bar reduction in signal. In my situation I know the reason, but for others, it doesn't explain why after switching their signal isn't quite as good.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire
Coverage is 100% identical between Telus, Koodo, PM. Bell and Virgin do not have access to Telus Band 30 (2.3GHz), but this band is not heavily used and does not provide additional coverage. It is mainly used for speed.

The only reason coverage would be different is if you are connecting to the EXT network (i.e. Rogers).

Cellular bands cannot be restricted by APN, as they belong strictly to the RAN domain.

yyzguy
I moved from Telus to PM - coverage for me has been identical. No difference that i can tell other than a lower bill. That said, I live in the Toronto area so coverage generally pretty strong.

Curtis
I'm in Calgary. Phone is Galaxy S6. APN settings are correct (AFAIK).
Not sure what you mean by "RE-set" Network settings.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@Jeremy_M could you please set the record straight.

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Many here are always saying PM uses the exact same network as Telus but this is getting more and more clear that it isn't fully true. It's fairly obvious at this point that Telus gives priority to its regular post-paid customers for speed and network access. It could be bandwitdh allocation, priority to the tower, etc.

This is also while you regularly see Telus suers getting 100m down with Telus, you don't see this kind of speed with PM.

Many here will try to argue that it's due to other factors but I don't believe them.

Rockdaddy22
That's not the case at all

tvtuner
I wonder if publicmobile users don't access to all the cell bands that are available to telus users in heavily populated areas. This would explain why telus users would have better speed and signal strength then publicmobile users.

bbdata
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've been with TELUS for years as well in BC. I do notice that I seem to have a weaker signal with PM. On the same devices I have used on TELUS, I would consistently get a weaker signal with PM. However, I have never had any service issues with PM so it never really bothered me.

outdoorsaddix

Do you live in Manitoba? Public not having access to MTS towers there will make a difference in the switch from Telus to Public. 

I personally went from Telus to Public in Toronto and have yet to experience a difference. 

imm1304

Hey @Curtis,  

PM is completely running on the Telus network.  We do not get access to the EXT network.. the extended zone on the Telus coverage map. But the rest of the areas are very much identical.

Which region are you in?  Which phone?  

Verify the APN settings, reset the network settings if thats an option in your phone.  

Also, a suggestion for the need to reboot your phone.. you can try toggling the airplane mode on/off in place of a reboot.  This, of course, is not a solution but just a stopgap measure until the connectivity issues can be fixed.  

ech_786

I also have some issues with the network but not that much.  I just change the location and it works perfectly.  I beleive Bell towers are there where I live as its very small town in EST Ontario.

So far so good and no complains, I guess I can live with this much. 

Cheers!

nishufan

Hi @Curtis

It should be the same. Do you reset your network setting ?  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

That's rather strange.  I am fairly new to this service.  From what I have learned, Telus doesn't really have their own towers in the GTA.  They rely on Bell towers.  I get the same connectivity as people using the Bell service.  The only thing I have notice is Bell customers seem to get slightly better quality of service.  The difference doesn't matter much to typical usage.  

rkreddyb4u

same here ....  the signal is very very week in certain areas in my home which results poor voice quality or disconnects some times, outside the home I did not face any Issue though.

Need Help? Let's chat.