cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continually losing connection to service for months now.

PapaWolf65
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For the past month and a half, or two months, I continually lose connection to the network. I have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps (including having an agent remotely reset my settings) more times than I even care to remember. This started when PM announced their partnering with Telus, and has steadily gotten worse over the months. What makes this even worse, is when I try to log into my account to come here and get help, the two factor authentication wants to send me a verification code in order to log in to get help... How can I get the verification code when I can't connect to the netwrok to receive the text with the verification code?????
This needs to be addressed and fixed ASAP or I will be forced to find a new provider!

edited by computergeek541: inappropriate language removed

44 REPLIES 44

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@PapaWolf65 

Looking at the cellmapper map for Belleville shows decent coverage for bell and a bit better for telus but without checking every tower and their zone coverage (azimuth) you will need to be more specific to your location. I suspect your local tower has been decommissioned and your at the edge of coverage for the next closest tower(s).

It's likely a signal booster (around $100) can fix the connection issues as long as the problems didn't start after you put on a new roof, installed new insulation or a large building or tower has finished construction nearby etc....which may be a more difficult fix....

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@PapaWolf65 

Belleville has been brought up in the past 6 to 8 months by a few users experiencing issues related to the decommissioning of towers with 3G and/or 4G LTE for expansion of the 5G network.

The problematic roll out of VoLTE for pm customers but with a severely limited whitelist of approved devices ( despite your phone being quite recently released if I recall it's not yet on that list).

But these are general observations.....as far as signal strength you want to look under Settings>> About Phone>> Sim card status>> ?-dBm. This is a more accurate reading than "bars" and can show differences between inside and outside, inner rooms, basement or near windows. Or the east, west, north or south sides of your home.

Your phone defaults to the 4G LTE network so that will be your initial signal strength. Change it to WCDMA only for your 3G network (and voice calls without VoLTE) signal strength. Report back your readings for each network in the main living area of your home. You can test other areas later for troubleshooting etc....

@maximum_gato  Thanks for sharing that link , I never knew that history about Dave and PM 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@maximum_gato I gave the date proper of the acquisition.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Telus bought pm in 2014 but it's only been in the last couple of years that Public mobile ceased operating as a separate entity under the telus umbrella and became just another department run out of telus like optik tv or home internet.

When "Dave" said goodbye that was the beginning of the end of the original public mobile.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Dave-is-making-his-final-curtain-call/t...

PapaWolf65

All the agent said was he was resetting my network settings remotely, which I failed to see how it would help, since resetting them myself didn't help.

No clue about any changes to towers. I have tried the sim in other phones and get the same issues.

No, I have never gotten an option to get the code in an email. All I got was an option to reset my password by email... yet when I tried that... You guessed it... I got the two factor verification code thing again.

PapaWolf65

maximum_gato, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus 5G, in Belleville Ontario. The issues affects calls, texts, and data, as it's a complete disconnection from the network. Haven't tried using just 3G or the 4G LTE as my settings only offer LTE/WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA only, and GSM only. Which one should I test?

Signal strength has been very weak for the past couple of months. I use to get full bars all the time, but lately I'm lucky to get three bars.

Thank you for being a lot more help so far than anyone else has.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PapaWolf65 Not Partnered, owned and operated by Telus, on October 23rd, 2013 they were fully acquired. 

Is 2014 recent enough? Before that PM was on their own. Then they got gobbled by Telus. As happens.

PapaWolf65

No Handy1, PM used Telus towers, they were not fully a part of Telus until recently. I have NEVER had outage issues in all the many years I have been a PM customer, UNTIL the announced partnering with Telus!! It's NOT a coincidence!!
I already stated I have contacted agents directly, and they reset my settings remotely, more than once, and it has NOT helped!!!!

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Handy1 

The OP has already reached out to support without a satisfactory resolution.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@PapaWolf65 

Your connection issues could stem from several factors. If you can answer a few questions we can help narrow down why it's occurring and if it's fixable or not or an easy fix or more complicated.

1. What is the make and model of your phone?
  2. What is your approximate location? Postal code, city/town and major cross streets or your co-ordinates?
  3. Does your connection issues affect calls, texts and data or just 1 or 2 of your services?
  4. Have you tested using just the 3G and just the 4G LTE network?
  5. Have you checked both of your 3G and 4G LTE network signal strength (?-dBm)?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@PapaWolf65 - what did the agents say when they reset your account in the past? Have changes or upgrades been made to towers in your area? Have you tried your sim into another phone to see if it works?

If you continue to hit the resend code, do you get the email option to get the code?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PapaWolf65  Telus is PM and has been for years please check 

Outage   map in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/

adding here got to get support @PapaWolf65 

message support directly

while your already here and logged in the community you can send a private message   To CS_Agents click    

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.