cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issues

Spegat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched from Rogers LTE plan yesterday to the 20gb 5g plan with public mobile and I get no signal indoors (home and at work) so bad I can barely send a text but outside I get full 5g signal.

Is it a setting that I need to change or just the signal with PM?

I am using a 5g enabled android phone and I had no issues yesterday when I was still with Rogers.

39 REPLIES 39

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Spegat 

Your welcome. Good luck....hopefully it's fixable.

Spegat

Will do , thank you!

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Spegat 

Contact support to see if it's a temporary issue or a technical issue. If it's not something they can fix then you have a good case to recieve a refund as they cannot provide you adequate service. But you have to give them a chance to fix it first before asking for a refund. If after trying to fix it without success and they refuse a refund send me a private message and I will walk you thru the steps to get one. 😉

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Spegat 

Yea that's not good for the 4G LTE network. Usable but slow (I've been able to use 4G LTE as  low as -114 dBm camping but it's frustrating and I switched to the 3G network which had a better signal). Ideally you want it above -100 dBm with -70 dBm being excellent. But my 4G LTE signal at home usually fluctuates between -100 dBm and -107 dBm and that's in nearly  downtown Vancouver. But changing your location by 10 feet in direction can change your signal strength by 10+dBm. My chimney stack, fridge and stove effectively blocks my wifi signal in a large portion of my kitchen even though the router is only 20 feet away.

Your 3G signal is excellent at -60 dBm with mine hovering around-67 dBm consistently. Below -80 dBm is not very good.

Spegat

I tried my wife's phone and same thing.

I'm sure I can go back to Rogers but I'm worried I'll be out what I paid for the 3 subscriptions, 1 was activated yesterday and the other 2 I placed the order yesterday 

hi @Spegat 

try your PM sim on another phone if you can to compare

but if you want to go back to Rogers, you can try to call them and see if they offer you any Winback offer

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Spegat 

And it should work here as well. By walking you thru all the troubleshooting and gathering as much testing info as possible before contacting customer support to open a tech team ticket it will save you the time of walking thru all of these steps with them at a much slower pace.

Maybe reprovisioning your Sim card might help? But I'm not so sure it can with a connectivity issue it will be great if it does as it's a pretty easy fix. There could also be network infrastructure upgrading going on in your area that's affecting your local tower(s) temporarily?

Spegat

Model ending 6w

Signal strength -110

Spegat

Yes but it worked fine yesterday before I switched from Rogers service

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Spegat 

Model ending in 6U or 6V?

Your phone is compatible with the 3G and 4G LTE network. Go to your Settings>>About Phone>>Sim status>>Signal strength >> ___dBm? This will be your 4G LTE signal. If you set your phone to 3G only you can see its signal strength. Test it in/out and around your home/work to see where it's stronger/weaker. This will help determine what is impeding your signal. Could be roofing material, insulation, trees etc....

Spegat

Yes, Canadian phone and it works outside, not indoors and with another device as well

@Spegat 

use this link to message a Customer Support agent and ask if tech support can offer help. You can inquire about refund too. Watch the little envelop icon on top right side of page will be highlighted when they respond.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

HI @Spegat 

is that a Canadian a53 5g?  where you got it ? 

if you got it from overseas, can you confirm the exact model from the phone's About menu? 

but you said your 5G works outside of your home, so, it is not a 5G incompatibility issue

Spegat

Do you know if I would get a refund seeing it's only been 1 day?

I also went ahead and ordered 3 other subscriptions for my family members before I found out about this issue!

@Spegat 

I would contact customer support and ask them to reset the network on their end. if, that doesn't help, I would consider moving back to Rogers. phonebox and chatr are good alternatives to Rogers. they both use the Rogers network.

gophonebox.com

Spegat

Yes, I tried that and no change

@Spegat 

can you please confirm if you've tried previously suggested ...can you manually set phone to 4 G to see if any improvement ? 

Spegat

How do I change that?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Spegat 

Roger's uses band 71 ( 600 Mhz) for its 5G network. Bell does not. You need to use bell's 700, 850, 1900, 2100 and 2600 Mhz for connectivity.

Spegat

Just tried everything you mentioned and still the same ☹️

Spegat

Galaxy a53 5g

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Spegat 

There's lots of bell towers in and around Brantford. What's the make and model of your phone ?

@Spegat 

looks like you're in an area with 5G...are you willing to run some troubleshooting tests ? Can you try thar PM sim in a different cellphone to see if there's any improvement ?

Spegat

Brantford 

Spegat

So if that does not work, I guess I need to go back to Rogers😔.

Do you know if I can cancel a day after subscription and get a refund?

@Spegat 

what city are you in ?

@Spegat wrote:

But no issues when I was with Rogers on a 4g plan

@Spegat 

it could be a weaker Telus/Bell signal (which PM uses) in your area

Try the following

1. Try clicking Reset All Networks and check

2. Use 4G/LTE and test if it is any better

3. Try PM sim on another phone

Spegat

But no issues when I was with Rogers on a 4g plan

Spegat

Network mode and network operators set to auto

Spegat

In a 5g area, one level buildings. Perfect signal outside . Never had an issue with Rogers who I was with yesterday 

Need Help? Let's chat.