cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Posts After a Solution Has Been Accepted

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Is there a way an Oracle, Moderator or Public Mobile can close a post after a solution has been accepted. 

I was reading a recent post that was from 2015, and people are posting on the same old thread now! Even someone in 2017, told the person NOT to post to an old thread, yet, in 2020, someone did yesterday! 

This drives me crazy! 

via GIPHY

29 REPLIES 29

@Stefanm 

The amount of posts have much less infuence on the secret formula than bravos and solutions do....

@Stefanm wrote:

Thank you for clarifying this situation of closing a post. I was getting frustrated trying to find information on closing the post like people were talking about. Do people sometimes just post anything so that they get a credit for posting?

@Stefanm   Unfortunately, from time to time, yes! 😊

Stefanm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for clarifying this situation of closing a post. I was getting frustrated trying to find information on closing the post like people were talking about. Do people sometimes just post anything so that they get a credit for posting?

@Stefanm wrote:

So I go to my original post where I posted the problem and I accept it as the solution? This is a little strange because people will think I asked a question and the question solve the problem. When I went back to my original post I didn't see anything that mentioned about closing off the post or solving a problem to click on.

@Stefanm   There's no way to close off the thread/post.  The solution is usually important for other users who maybe experiencing a similar issue to yours so when searching the topic, they can hopefully benefit from your post/solution.

Stefanm

So I go to my original post where I posted the problem and I accept it as the solution? This is a little strange because people will think I asked a question and the question solve the problem. When I went back to my original post I didn't see anything that mentioned about closing off the post or solving a problem to click on.

@Stefanm 

Choose the post that best explains and/or solves the issue you are having. Don't feel pressured to choose a solution right away. Often a troubleshooting solution may take days, weeks or longer to come up with a definitive answer. I recently found the solution to an issue from may 2020 in a similarily related recent thread. I myself resist choosing a "contact the moderators" solution allowing others to respond to see if they can figure out the issue even if it involves eventually contacting the moderators to rectify the problem within your account. Ultimately contacting the moderators could resolve nearly every issue but that would eliminate the need for the community's purpose.

Screenshot_20210306-105519~2.png

@Stefanm wrote:

I'm trying to close my first post. Two people mentioned that I should, I replied to one and asked how. No answer so far.

I searched for an old post that would tell me how to close a post. I quickly read them all and there were a lot of complaints about old posts not being closed and newbs not knowing how to close, then the topic changed to bravos for old posts that were either closed or not closed.

In none of the posts or search results did I discover how to close my first post.  Could this be the reason that there are so many that are not closed? Can anyone solve this problem?

There isn't any way to close a thread. Also, pickiing a solution is optional. 

@Stefanm wrote:

I'm trying to close my first post. Two people mentioned that I should, I replied to one and asked how. No answer so far.

I searched for an old post that would tell me how to close a post. I quickly read them all and there were a lot of complaints about old posts not being closed and newbs not knowing how to close, then the topic changed to bravos for old posts that were either closed or not closed.

In none of the posts or search results did I discover how to close my first post.  Could this be the reason that there are so many that are not closed? Can anyone solve this problem?

@Stefanm   If the following link is the thread that you want to close by accepting a solution, simply go to the post of the person who you felt helped you the most with your issue and click the Accept as Solution (or something similar).  I believe in that thread you had mentioned that Dunkman had pointed you in the right direction, so that may be your accepted solution? 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/My-voice-cutting-in-and-out-on-Public...

I wouldn't worry too much about not accepting a solution if you really don't want to as sometimes one of oracles (usually Luddite) may pick one of those answers as a solution if the OP of the thread opts not to do it themself.. 

@Stefanm....

go to the actual first post where you posed your initial question...there should be a large "Accept as Solution" button...(or something obvious).

Stefanm

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Luddite 

I've often wondered about Bravo's given to say a comment you made 4 months ago. I'd that effectively a new bravo for you THIS month or a bravo for you FOUR months ago and too late to count towards your performance? Any thoughts about that?

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector I don't know how Bravos for old posts fit into PM's rewards scheme. However, I don't care about that at all, I just enjoy the recognition for past efforts. So keep 'em coming! 😎

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Naepalm @You are totally right about not giving tmi around here

@mpcdesign wrote:

@Anonymous, OG stands for 'original guy,' 'old guy' or 'other guy' old geezer'....depending on how you really want to use it!

@Anonymous wrote:

btw @Naepalm : what the heck is OG?

@Naepalm, what's with your name? Naepalm, aren't you a pastor?

NOUN
  1. a highly flammable sticky jelly used in incendiary bombs and flamethrowers, consisting of gasoline thickened with special soaps.
VERB
  1. attack with bombs containing napalm.

Yes, your deduction is correct, pastor...lol Youth pastor to be more exact. But the name without giving away to much info is my first and last name combined. I am ADHD so highly flammable lol

@Anonymous wrote:

Then you still need undo solution for improper use. Or mistaken selection. Or just doing anything to stop the notifications because the OP can't be bothered or doesn't know how to set their notification settings. I would think it would be unnecessary moderator or Oracle work. But I guess that goes on now.  btw @Naepalm : what the heck is OG?

The improvement I'd rather see is an indication of which post was replied to. Just answers out of thin air leave one scratching their head. Regulars know how to work it but newbs very often just say something without any context.

LOL, OG = original gangster, its like the pioneers of Public Mobile. When you are an OG you have been around for a long time 🙂

@Luddite 

I've often wondered about Bravo's given to say a comment made 4 months ago. Is that effectively a new bravo for the recipient THIS month or a bravo for the recipient FOUR months ago and too late to count towards your current performance? Any thoughts about that?

AE_Collector

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@mpcdesign I'm for closing old threads to new posts but please allow Bravos otherwise I'd fall even further behind in that race. 😎

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 9.32.17 PM.png

Not really sleeping just waiting for Ralph to awaken:

RalphRalph

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Anonymous, OG stands for 'original guy,' 'old guy' or 'other guy' old geezer'....depending on how you really want to use it!

@Anonymous wrote:

btw @Naepalm : what the heck is OG?

@Naepalm, what's with your name? Naepalm, aren't you a pastor?

NOUN
  1. a highly flammable sticky jelly used in incendiary bombs and flamethrowers, consisting of gasoline thickened with special soaps.
VERB
  1. attack with bombs containing napalm.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Anonymous 

Getting "paid" is far from my main reason to be here but keep in mind that the regulars here who ARE almost certainly the first one to see the new question in an existing post are the ones to jump on it and lose out on the possible solution consequently. The same person who is likely the first to see the question, first to answer, first that could have requested a new topic be started and likely the most hopefully of Bravo's and solutions.

AE_Collector

So newb comes in and barely manages to find a topic to reply in let alone making a new thread having never really been in these kinds of forums.

The regulars see it. So they're supposed to just instruct how to make a thread and leave the newb hanging having to fumble around still trying to figure out what those instructions meant and finally managing to post a new thread. All the while getting increasingly mad and frustrated and stressed that his stupid phone isn't working and why can't someone just reply back already. Instead you're making me figure out this stupid forum and waste my time when all I want is for my phone to bl@@dy work!!

It's not about lost opportunity for bravos and solutions. It's about getting the customer going.

@Anonymous 

Getting "paid" is far from my main reason to be here but keep in mind that the regulars here who ARE almost certainly the first one to see the new question in an existing post are the ones to jump on it and lose out on the possible solution consequently. The same person who is likely the first to see the question, first to answer, first that could have requested a new topic be started and likely the most hopefully of Bravo's and solutions.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

It is a bit of a "no win" situation. People SHOULD just type their new topic title into the SEARCH BOX instead of the new topic box. It's virtually all been asked over and over and over again. Then they would be getting ideas and solutions right away rather than waiting for everyone to type the same responses in again. But, they don't. 

Adding to an old topic does at least indicate that they likely did some looking for their answer. But frequently they don't seem to accept the advice given in the old topic they found and ask the same question again anyway.

There was a topic revived a few days ago, it started last fall & went like this:

I was double charged, how do I get a refund?

There are no refunds, best to leave extra $ for next renewal.

You can Contact the moderators this way....

Thanks everybody, I got me refund in three days!

Then new person finds it and adds this to it a few days ago:

Really! If you read this one page topic you would know how to successfully get a refund. 

So yes, there could be sime validity to locking topics or having them automatically lock 15 days after the last post?

The best thing the community could do when someone asks for help where they shouldn't be such as in the PM response to Covid-19 topic is post "Please start a new topic for this in XYZ Category and we will gladly help you there". No need to be nasty or unfriendly, just start with that info on how to get their problem resolved. But, we just can't help ourselves and we start asking all the questions about their problem in that topic. You are shooting yourself in the foot as you aren't going to get "paid" for your efforts with a "solution" to a misplaced question in some other topic.

Again, all just my thoughts on the topic(s).

AE_Collector

You are not wrong. They have been repeated so often that sometimes I don't even respond because I know someone is coming in with a macro response that will paste exactly what is on the public mobile page. I don't use macros, but I think why people keep asking is because usually, you can get a quick answer or explanation from the community then if you try to search through everything. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

But, we just can't help ourselves and we start asking all the questions about their problem in that topic. You are shooting yourself in the foot as you aren't going to get "paid" for your efforts with a "solution" to a misplaced question in some other topic.

If getting "paid" is your only intention then sure. I like helping people. I think ignoring the call out for help however it gets here and just saying start a new thread is showing ones true colours of only being interested in being "paid". The line about visibility is a bit of a misnomer as well. The regulars will see the post. And those that like to help will answer it.

It seems that quite often an Oracle will take it upon themselves to split out the new question and make a new thread. But often not. Oh well. So sometimes it works out.

It is a bit of a "no win" situation. People SHOULD just type their new topic title into the SEARCH BOX instead of the new topic box. It's virtually all been asked over and over and over again. Then they would be getting ideas and solutions right away rather than waiting for everyone to type the same responses in again. But, they don't. 

Adding to an old topic does at least indicate that they likely did some looking for their answer. But frequently they don't seem to accept the advice given in the old topic they found and ask the same question again anyway.

There was a topic revived a few days ago, it started last fall & went like this:

There are no refunds, best to leave extra $ for next renewal.

You can Contact the moderators this way....

Thanks everybody, I got me refund in three days!

Then new person finds it and adds this to it a few days ago:

Really! If you read this one page topic you would know how to successfully get a refund. 

So yes, there could be sime validity to locking topics or having them automatically lock 15 days after the last post?

The best thing the community could do when someone asks for help where they shouldn't be such as in the PM response to Covid-19 topic is post "Please start a new topic for this in XYZ Category and we will gladly help you there". No need to be nasty or unfriendly, just start with that info on how to get their problem resolved. But, we just can't help ourselves and we start asking all the questions about their problem in that topic. You are shooting yourself in the foot as you aren't going to get "paid" for your efforts with a "solution" to a misplaced question in some other topic.

Again, all just my thoughts on the topic(s).

AE_Collector

Locking a thread can be done.  As mentioned, moderators can do it, but anyone with the "PM" employee designation can also. There are some locked threads in the forum. The easiest to find are in the Annoucements category.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then you still need undo solution for improper use. Or mistaken selection. Or just doing anything to stop the notifications because the OP can't be bothered or doesn't know how to set their notification settings. I would think it would be unnecessary moderator or Oracle work. But I guess that goes on now.  btw @Naepalm : what the heck is OG?

The improvement I'd rather see is an indication of which post was replied to. Just answers out of thin air leave one scratching their head. Regulars know how to work it but newbs very often just say something without any context.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mpcdesignclosing them with a link that goes to the help articles on the subject, or to the correct sub forum on where to post and ask for help.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign wrote:

Is there a way an Oracle, Moderator or Public Mobile can close a post after a solution has been accepted. 

I was reading a recent post that was from 2015, and people are posting on the same old thread now! Even someone in 2017, told the person NOT to post to an old thread, yet, in 2020, someone did yesterday! 

This drives me crazy! 

via GIPHY

From what I have read the only ones with the power to do that are moderators. Not sure at this point they have time to do that. 

@mpcdesign it's to do with the layout , normally in a forum there is a permanent read me file for newbies at the very top that lays out the rules, and  where and how to post, in this forum, a link to the help articles. etc. There isn't one here. So, a post will show up in the least likely of places. Stay safe.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I am not a regular here, but I have never seen a locked thread before.  I suppose this is not possible.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign People do it all the time when they first start they don’t read the dates of the post there is not much to do about it except get annoyed LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.