cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarity on porting and my old provider

TeelaBrown
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated my new PM SIM last night and can port my number away from my old provider on April 4th. I understand that it can take a few days for this to be completed. What will happen while I am waiting for it to work?

1. Will my old provider immediately disconnect me, or does that disconnection take a few days?

2. Will my existing PM number work during that time, or is it disconnected?

Basically I want to know if I am going to be totally without use of a phone, from both providers while the change takes place. 

Thanks in advance! Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am I'm not sure I agree with your 2-day rule of thumb.  Landlines and VoIP services can take a week or more, while mobile service should be a matter of a few hours (if not virtually immediately).  Telling someone to expect 2 days is going to lead them to wait too long to get help on a failed/stuck mobile port, and not be patient enough for a landline/VoIP port to complete.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@TeelaBrown Keep using your old provider until it stop working, then you would know that porting is complete, swipe SIM cards in your phone and enjoy new life with Public Mobile!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TeelaBrown, the general rule of thumb is to allow up to 2 days to complete a number port.  This will cover even the worst of outcomes like a landline port.  Since you already have an active line with a temporary number, the service should not be affected during the number porting.  During the number porting, the service with the old provider should continue to work right up to when the port completes.  I always encourage people to continue to use the old service as a way of checking when a port is done.  

Need Help? Let's chat.