cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Phone

nbanman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I took my SIM card out of my old iphone and put it into my new iphone but it does not work.  The phone recognizes the Public Mobile network but I cannot text or call.  I have rebooted the phone, reset network settings, toggled airplane mode on and off, manually selected the Public Mobile network, but nothing works.  It all worked fine in my iphone 8 but not in my iphone 12.  Please help.  Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@nbanman wrote:

Bought it used privately.  We checked and it's not blacklisted

you checked at devicecheck.ca ?

private sell is dangerous, search here and you will see many "smart" guys got tricked

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@nbanman wrote:

I took my SIM card out of my old iphone and put it into my new iphone but it does not work.  The phone recognizes the Public Mobile network but I cannot text or call.  I have rebooted the phone, reset network settings, toggled airplane mode on and off, manually selected the Public Mobile network, but nothing works.  It all worked fine in my iphone 8 but not in my iphone 12.  Please help.  Thanks.

Turn off VPN on your iPhone if you have set up VPN.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@nbanman 

Try ANOTHER person's SIM card in the newer iPhone to see if the device can read and connect to their account/network and function normally (calls/texts both in and out, + data functioning)

Buying a device privately (especially from an unknown source) is extremely risky and may end up in problems for the purchaser. 

@nbanman

can you confirm if your see the phone connects to the network?  any bars ?

so, does data work?

make sure you update carrier profile

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@nbanman  does data work? turn off the wifi and test it.

Deregister the old number on the iphone: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Set up your new phone number on the iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

@nbanman 

still use the link that @softech provided for you. Lots of customers have troubles with purchased used phones only to find out they were stolen and blacklisted. Only takes a second to check.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Try deleting the old Carrier profile(s) in settings, then reset the phone.

@nbanman  Yes it still works in old phone ? Or yes you shut down in settings general / shut down 

nbanman

yes

nbanman

Bought it used privately.  We checked and it's not blacklisted

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@nbanman  You can also try going to settings on the iphone  go to general and at the bottom there’s option to shut down  and wait a minute and turn back on 

adding shutting down in settings is not same as rebooting this will take the iPhone offline completely and ping it back on to the server 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Phone might be locked or blacklisted.

Try your SIM in Another unlocked phone. No reason SIM not to work in new phone unless you managed to damage it somehow during swapping process.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@nbanman  Sorry I responded quickly you already rebooted the phone … is it possible the SIM card got damaged when you took out of old phone to put in the new one , can you try the SIM card back in old phone and all services work still 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@nbanman Where you got the phone from??

did you get the phone. from trusted source?? maybe check if the phone is clean for piece of mind:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@nbanman  Did you reboot the phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.