cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in data speed with new plan?

public_mobile_1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have signed up to convert from the old 120 day/12 GB plan to the 30 day/15 GB plan that came up over the holidays. Both are listed as 4G/LTE data plans but I’m wondering if there are any differences in the data speeds between the two plans? I live in a large urban centre.

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Why do I retain all of this info in my brain?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@public_mobile_1 @If speed is your primary concern my suggestion would be to look at Telus 5G+ plans Telus claims speeds up to 1Gbs 

much more expensive plans thou 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@public_mobile_1 

The new PM LTE plans reach speeds of 100 Mbps download. The previously grandfathered LTE plans did not have this limit. Some customers have done speed tests before and after switching from grandfathered plans to the new LTE plans.  Some have noticed a difference, while others have not.  Some new LTE customers have gotten data speeds higher than 100 Mbps also. 

According to terms and conditions,

Plans with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, and plans with 4G speed may reach download speeds up to 100 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

However, in general, for most day-to-day uses of your phone data, you will unlikely notice a big difference.  100 Mbps is likely faster than most home internet speeds.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@public_mobile_1 

It is believed that the grandfathered 2016 promo plan had the ability to reach higher data speeds than the current 4G LTE plans that are supposedly throttled to 100mbps. However there have been customers that have posted much higher data speeds being achieved on the new 4G LTE plans. Previously the old 4G LTE plans claimed that you could reach data speeds of up to 200+mbps depending on network traffic.

From the small print....

Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps)

@public_mobile_1 @In any event , your certainly wise to make the switch 

@public_mobile_1 wrote:

Thanks for your speedy responses! Yes I am aware they are both 4G/LTE plans. But I wonder if anyone knows if there is a difference in the allowed/throttled upload/download speeds between the plans? Thanks again.

@public_mobile_1   some other members replied through you had an 3G plan  🙂

the current LTE plans can reach speed as much as 100Mbps.   I think your old one is topped at that, too.  

@public_mobile_1 @It will be the same 

public_mobile_1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for your speedy responses! Yes I am aware they are both 4G/LTE plans. But I wonder if anyone knows if there is a difference in the allowed/throttled upload/download speeds between the plans? Thanks again.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@public_mobile_1   your old plan 120 day/12 GB  is NOT 3G, it is a grandfathered LTE plan, I believe it was offered in 2016

Speed would be the same with the new 30 days/15 GB plan

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yes @public_mobile_1 , you will experience generally quicker data performance with 4G. (edit:  presuming you weren't before utilizing 4G services)

To ensure this, confirm that your network connection settings are set to LTE/4G and not strictly to the 3G setting.

The automatic setting should also trigger the 4G connection.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@public_mobile_1 @Also you will be able to keep your old rewards too , in case  your wondering or concerned about that .

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@public_mobile_1 @If your old plan is 3G plan and your moving to a 4G plan it will be a faster internet service which can take up to 48 hours before you notice a a difference in speed 

edit if both plans are 4G then you will not  see a difference in speed they will both have the same performance 

Need Help? Let's chat.