cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive calls from mob phones

LAWSAW
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a public mobile SIM card from London Drugs and activated about three weeks ago. I did not really tested the card until my friends told me he could not reach my cell phone. So I asked another friend to test, and result was same. I tried again to call from my home phone (land line) successfully. I though it was my phone’s problem (Samsung S9), so I changed the SIM card to an iPhone (both phones are unlocked). The result is same: cannot receive calls from cell phone, can receive calls from land line. Outgoing calls from this SIM card has no problem. Can anyone tell me what problem it is? I tried to set the cell phone to 3G mode only, but still failed.

26 REPLIES 26

LAWSAW

I contacted customer support and sent private message for help. Then I received a porting team phone number so I called to resolve the issue. It’s done now. Thanks.

@LAWSAW   It not  a complete port failure 

Calling number is  like network routing.  The carrier initiated the calls try to find which carrier your number belongs too.  Each carrier has it own record, or routing table

it probably something wrong on the backend and your phone number not "advertised" properly to all carriers and hence not every carrier able to route the call to you properly.

As I said, open a ticket with PM Support, layout all the issues you are experiencing.  It would be help to let them know which carrier can or cannot reach you (like which one is your landline provider, which able to call you).  You said even friends from PM cannot reach you, ask support to call you and test

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LAWSAW : I don't have a technical explanation for it. It's just how it works. The port is about the number. Data isn't the number. Incoming is the ported number. Outgoing is kind of a temporary working mode in anticipation of the incoming working later. Perhaps you typed in an account number incorrectly or the IMEI or other information didn't match properly.

Edit: Coming from a computing/networks background, I might kind of think of it as DNS propagation. It can take a bit of time for a changed ip address or a changed domain name to spread throughout all the DNS servers.

LAWSAW

If it is port failed, why I can still make calls and send text, and access internet via cell phone data?

@LAWSAW   open a ticket with PM Support first, let them investigate on the backend first.

LAWSAW

The phone is Samsung S9. There is no G3 setting. Only available setting is GSM/HSPA/LTE. I insert the SIM card to iPhone 11 and set to G3 mode, still failed to receive calls and text.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@LAWSAW wrote:

I bought a public mobile SIM card from London Drugs and activated about three weeks ago. I did not really tested the card until my friends told me he could not reach my cell phone. So I asked another friend to test, and result was same. I tried again to call from my home phone (land line) successfully. I though it was my phone’s problem (Samsung S9), so I changed the SIM card to an iPhone (both phones are unlocked). The result is same: cannot receive calls from cell phone, can receive calls from land line. Outgoing calls from this SIM card has no problem. Can anyone tell me what problem it is? I tried to set the cell phone to 3G mode only, but still failed.

@LAWSAW  - 

Log into your Fido account and see if it looks active. If you have ported out successfully then it should tell you the account is closed, with your final bill amount listed. 

We are customers/members and we do not have access to your account.

Customer Support agents (CSA) are the only ones that have access to your account so if this is a porting issue submit a ticket with them by either two methods found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : The OP started with an S9 then tried an iphone then went back to the S9.

Edit:  @LAWSAW : Which provider and type is the landline? Is it a real copper landline or via cable tv cable or via cell type base?

LAWSAW

It is the same number of my existing cell phone. I did received text from Fido to confirm the transfer and replied YES within 5 minutes. I guess this issue happened since I changed from Fido to Public Mobile. I can make calls and send text, and receive calls from land line, but cannot receive calls (from mobile phone) and receive text. I can use mobile data without problem.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@LAWSAW   from what you said, it might not be porting issue, but I suggest you to call the number I sent you to confirm.

As I said, if they confirm the port is completed, try changing the network to 3G Only/WCDMA and test

and what brand/model is your phone?  Just want to see if it is phone compatibility issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LAWSAW : Yes, we understand. It seems to be a failed port. Call the number provided when they're open and they should be able to sort it out.

LAWSAW

This issue happened since I change to Public Mobile SIM card about three weeks ago. I could make calls and send texts, but could not receive calls and receive texts.

@LAWSAW   What kind of phone you have? Brand/Model?

did you try changing the network to 3G Only/WCDA ?

I would also open a ticket with PM agent as well just to have them further investigate (steps in my earlier post)

LAWSAW

The SIM card is back to S9 now

LAWSAW

I do not have friends using Rogers or Chatr. My friend using Public Mobile tried to make call to me, but failed too. I can make calls and send text, but I cannot receive calls and receive text.

@LAWSAW   Other than Fido, did you try calling from another provider? (Do not try from Rogers or Chatr, it won't make a difference, try from some other).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LAWSAW : Is this still in the iphone? Or did you put the SIM back in the S9?

LAWSAW

I did received text from Fido to confirm the transfer and replied “YES” within 5 minutes.

LAWSAW

I can receive texts but cannot send texts

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LAWSAW : Incoming calls are the most troublesome part and the last to work. Calling the number provided earlier should get the problem sorted.

You could go like upwards to a month with a failed port with outgoing working fine with your old number. But eventually that would fail and they would give you a new random number.

Edit: But at the end of the day...don't be messin' with the mob. 🙂

LAWSAW

I did received SMS text from Fido to confirm the transfer, and I replied “YES” within 5 minutes. If the transfer was not successful, why I can still make calls from Public Mobility?

@LAWSAW   Put your Fido SIM back to a phone and confirm if the Fido SIM still able to make calls (I assume not) 

Try reboot your phone once more and see if incoming calls going to PM SIM.  If possible try to call from providers other than Rogers and Fido, maybe Bell Mobility. 

I will private message you a number to call for Porting department to confirm if you port is fully done.  Check your Community inbox on the top right, envelope icon.

If they said the porting is completed successfully, open a ticket with PM Support to have them investigate further:

1. For faster response (2-48 hours) and you have access to your Self-Serve My Account, Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or if you don't have access to Self-Serve My Account, you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

LAWSAW

The provider of my cell phone with SIM card bought from London drugs is public mobile. I changed from Fido to Public Mobile. The incoming call tests were from cell phones of Fido and Public Mobile, which were unsuccessful. The incoming land line calls was from my home phone. This issue happened since the SIM card was activated. I did received text message from Fido to confirm transfer from Fido to Public Mobile. I answered “YES” within 5 minutes.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@LAWSAW 

Just contact a CS_Agent to restart the porting process if the London Drugs rep forgot to tell you to confirm a SMS text from your old carrier with the old SIM in the phone. Please note that there is a 90 minute window for you to reply…if you missed replying then the porting is not completed.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LAWSAW 

Did you choose a new number or port one in? If you ported did you reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of receiving it? 

If you chose a new number is your landline with telus? Can you send and recieve texts? Use mobile data? When you log into your self serve account is the number listed their under plan details the same as on your phone?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@LAWSAW   You just joined today?  You ported your number from another provider?  If so, which provider you ported it from? 

If you just cannot receive calls from some (landline) but not all,  it could be just some providers need more time to find out that your number was ported.  It might take another couple hours to a day or so.  (Usually it takes another couple hours for main Mobile providers but could be a full day for VoIP providers).

For now, reboot your phones every hour.  Also, try to call your number from different providers. , Telus, Rogers, Bell, etc. You should see call from some providers going through eventually.  

And, calls from VoIP provider, like Fongo, Ooma, etc, usually come the latest. 

Need Help? Let's chat.