cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot login to Public Mobile in order to add payment

Tim_Walker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife cannot login to her account because the 2 step verification requires her to receive a code via text message to her phone number. But the phone number doesn't receive any text messages. I assume this is because her SIM card isn't active due to not making a top up payment for several months. (She doesn't use her phone often).  I have two questions:

1. How can we activate her number? You have to login to her account to add payment, but to make a payment you are supposed to receive a code to a number that doesn't work yet because it's not topped up. Ridiculous!

2. How can we eliminate two step verification all together? I also ran into the same problem when traveling to Mexico last winter. Once I got to Mexico, the Public Mobile SIM would not receive any texts so I could not login to my account to change my plan because Public Mobile was sending a verification code to my number which wouldn't work in Mexico. So I spent 5 months paying for a $40/month plan that I couldn't use. Waisted $200! I do not want this frustrating two step verification. It would be okay if it sent a code to your email address, but for the system to use your phone number, when the phone cannot work is ridiculous.

Appreciate your help if you have any advice. Otherwise I'm considering bailing on Public Mobile.

17 REPLIES 17

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@Tim_Walker   If you're paying $40 for a plan currently why not switch to the $39 Canada-US plan with 50GB data, then you won't need to buy a roaming add on.  (Or the $34 Canada-US with 15GB depending how much data you need).

Beat me to it. Brilliant idea.

@Tim_Walker 

you said you've "been paying $40".... Log in to your acct and have a look at the latest plan menu...you might be able to upgrade to a newer / cheaper plan that includes Canada AND US calling. No need for the 15 day roaming add-on in that case.

@Tim_Walker   If you're paying $40 for a plan currently why not switch to the $39 Canada-US plan with 50GB data, then you won't need to buy a roaming add on.  (Or the $34 Canada-US with 15GB depending how much data you need).

Tim_Walker

Thank you. I'll do it the night before I leave. Connecting to my account from the US when the two step verification might snag me up may be too risky.

@Tim_Walker 

@Tim_Walker wrote:

One more question while you are online. I am going to the US on Tuesday for 14 days. I want to purchase a US roaming package. The package says it lasts for 15 days. But if I purchase it today, will the 15 days start counting down from the time of purchase? or will it start on Tuesday once I enter the US?

The 15 days start the minute you successfully buy it. I'd wait until the last moment OR...buy it in US using free wifi at your first stop in US. (Walmart & McD's have free wifi).

ed...

for best talk experience, make sure you have a volte enabled cell that on the PM whitelist of volte enabled cellphones. When you get to US, check to confirm that your connected to either AT&T ot T-Mobile...no others will work. Set you phone to 4G in US.

Tim_Walker

One more question while you are online. I am going to the US on Tuesday for 14 days. I want to purchase a US roaming package. The package says it lasts for 15 days. But if I purchase it today, will the 15 days start counting down from the time of purchase? or will it start on Tuesday once I enter the US?

Tim_Walker

Thank you for spelling it out like that. I did it. I didn't know what "remove" meant previously. I wondered if it would delete my Public Mobile phone number from working at all. But I see it must just be in the context of "Ever Safe ID" and the way I protect the number. Thanks again.

@Tim_Walker wrote:

How do I "omit the SMS and only use email"?

Log into your account. Go to PROFILE on the left side. Then first box is EverSafe ID. Click on Mange EverSafe ID. Next, click on the arrow on the far right side of page on the same line as your number and then next page, click remove. However, if you lose access to your email address, this can wreak havoc in the future.

Tim_Walker

How do I "omit the SMS and only use email"?

@hairbag1   ...downgrade to the cheapest plan ($15).

Cheapest (according to the Shop page) is now $30.

@Tim_Walker   In your Eversafe profile you can change where the 2FA code goes to.  Also when you log in hit "didn't get the code" and it should offer email and voicemail alternative options.

Tim_Walker

Thank you Chalupa. Great information.

@Tim_Walker wrote:

Thank you for your comment. When you say, "the fastest way is to stop by a Shoppers Drug Mart and pick up a voucher", what do you mean by a "voucher"? A new SIM card?

He meant payment voucher. Some retail outlets sell payment vouchers, you buy and then dial 611 from your cell to add them to your account.

For use in Mx, before you go...downgrade to the cheapest plan ($15)...then let it ride until you come home when you can again upgrade to any plan available at that time.

Alternative...you can put your acct to sleep using the Lost / Stolen tab... BUT...remember that after 90 days in suspension, you lose the acct.

edited...thanks @Phil_Adelphus 

@Tim_Walker wrote:

Thank you for your comment. When you say, "the fastest way is to stop by a Shoppers Drug Mart and pick up a voucher", what do you mean by a "voucher"? A new SIM card?

A voucher is like a digital gift card sort of speak. You can buy one and then add it to the account via 611. But before you do that, have to confirm. Has her account been "suspended" for more than 90 days? If so, a voucher won't work. That means her account is now gone. She'd need to sign up again. Please see my notes below as I added more info. If her account has been suspended less than 90 days, then a voucher will work.

Tim_Walker

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Tim_Walker 

after 90 days in Suspension, her account would be deactivated. Now you need a new sim and a diiferent email address to start a new account.

The 2 step verification is mandatory...but...you can omit the SMS and only use email.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Tim_Walker 

The fastest way is to stop by a Shoppers Drug Mart and pick up a voucher. Add the voucher by dialing 611 and following the prompts.

There is no way to eliminate it. It's here to stay and has stopped so many number thefts from scammers.

With regards to it not working in Mexico, Public Mobile only works in Canada and the US.

EDIT: You mentioned you were away for 4 months. Well, if you're trying to activate her account after 4 months, it's now gone. You'd have to sign up all over again for her. At least there are better plans now to choose from. Also, if you do decide to sign her up, use your referral code so you get credit for it and she'll get $10 off her second month. That SIM card is now toast. PM offers free eSIM. But if you want a SIM card, best and fastest way is off Amazon for $4.99.

Need Help? Let's chat.