cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to 5G network

eviljan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Subcribed to 5G speed plan and using samsung Z fold 3 but cannot connect to 5G network. Can only get 4G+ at the most, frequently get H connection. And help?im in GTA

34 REPLIES 34

eviljan

nothing wrong with my phone. decided to switch by end of cycle. thanks for leaving comment

SlickToxic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You not even sure what you want CTO.

Speeds but data is a brain storm.

Others showed and posted much better speeds than you claim.

Must be your Flip phone?

eviljan

nice trick, add-ons are expensive lol

You can change plans anytime. There's just no pro-rating of what you paid previously. Some people do this when they run out of data and don't want to buy add-ons.

eviljan

i know prepaid got nothing to do with 5G, just that I have to wait if I want to switch lol

I cannot get beyond 100Mbps and I dont need much data anyway. So will switch to 4G plan or another carrier at the end of the cycle

HI @eviljan 

Prepaid just mean you pay first and use after, so , the site didn't say but you are doing it 🙂

Prepaid has nothing to do with 5G.  

What is the speed you getting? if you are getting over 100 Mbps, then it still worth to pay a 5G plan, or if you need the data that you need with the 5G plan.  

To be honest, you didn't pay extra for using 5G , it is more you are paying for the extra data you need

eviljan

updated: the agent said the provision is correct, nothing else to do. and it seems that PM plans are prepaid plans (no where on their site said the plans are prepaid). in the case I want to switch plan (since cannot use 5G why waste the money) or switch carrier, I will have to wait till the end of the cycle 😄

eviljan

no response yet lol. have been in downtown Toronto this afternoon, could only get 4G with around 50Mbps max lol

@eviljan  usually they reply within 2 hours, but weekend could be different

Worst case, message them again on Monday.  And remember they reply via Community inbox, so, monitor the inbox

eviljan

sent private message to PM but havent got back from them yet.

eviljan

i'm on eSim with PM

@eviljan  and yours is a dual sim version, if you are using physical sim, try it on the other sim slot

SM-F926B/DS have band 66 and 78, so, should be ok

do you have another 5G phone to test the PM sim card?  this would also force a sim card reprovision and could resolve the issue

and you have messaged support to confirm your account settings or reprovision your sim/account from their side.?

eviljan

it's SM-F926B/DS

@eviljan 

Samsung top of the line phones should generally work worldwide without issue, but there could be minor regional difference still.  Understand yours is a Z Fold 3, but what is the exact model number? check the About screen on the phone. 

eviljan

did phone software upgrade etc. still not working. I got my phone in Asia

@eviljan yes, PM uses n66 and n78

you tried Reset All Networks 

did you test your phone in different part of the GTA and see if it connects to 5G or at least perform speed test in different area 

And is you got your phine in Canada?

eviljan

here are my 5G bands

• 5G FDD Sub6N1(2100), N3(1800), N5(850), N7(2600), N8(900), N20(800), N28(700), N66(AWS-3)
  • 5G TDD Sub6N38(2600), N40(2300), N41(2500), N77(3700), N78(3500)

and according to this link, my phone should be working with either n78 or n66

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

eviljan

yes got yr pm, thanks

eviljan

never see the 5G tho. tried to submit a ticket but always got 404 page lol

eviljan

yup i got 93 Mbps by fast.com when my phone showing 4G+

HI @eviljan 

you got close to the top 4G speed, not very bad

but you tested the phone in different area and never sees 5G?

But please take my advise to submit a ticket with agent, maybe they can refresh your account and make it happens

@eviljan Not at all impossible. The 4G network is not limited to 100Mbps (it can achieve far greater speeds), it's just Public Mobile who limits speed on their 4G plan to 100Mbps.

All plans can access all networks with a compatible device. E.g. a 3G plan can still access the 4G and 5G networks. In the context of PM's marketing, 3G, 4G, and 5G are just the speeds they allow (3Mbps, 100Mbps, and 250Mbps respectively); it has nothing to do with what network you can connect to.

Here's an example where I connected my phone to the 4G network and achieved speeds of 244Mbps. I'm on a 5G plan, but I don't need to be connected to the 5G network to achieve those speeds.

Screenshot_20230813-061617.png

eviljan

93 Mbps by fast.com

@eviljan wrote:

done all of that already. I'm a CTO kinda guy. may need to switch carrier then 😄

HI @eviljan 

before you switch, submit a ticket with PM agent, maybe they can refresh you account once more and can fix the problem

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

And you already did Refresh all networks?

and your phone is a Canadian model and not US or overseas? some non Canadian model lacks some 5G bands we use here with PM

eviljan

done all of that already. I'm a CTO kinda guy. may need to switch carrier then 😄

hi @eviljan 

what speed you are getting now with 4G+ showing?

eviljan

checked the coverage map published by publicmobile, I'm in the 5G coverage 😄

eviljan

yes, got 5G connection with other service provider on the same phone. with 5G on other providers, i got upto 750Mbps

Need Help? Let's chat.