cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel within a week (3 days now) - no refund at all?

PublicMob3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

From research, it seems what I'm reading is that prepaid means I don't get any refund at all. The 15-day trial period protection by the law doesn't protect consumers from burning $40 prepaid??

Really disappointed.

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob3 

You can transfer your account and Sim card to another for an agreed upon amount. But if you plan on porting out your phone number that will automatically close the account and render the Sim card useless. If you do plan to transfer the account with or without the Sim card there are some steps to take to maintain account and personal info security. It's easy so just ask if you take this route.

PublicMob3

Follow-up question: Can I sell this SIM and have the buyer use it without problem?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob3 

On a further note to @softech 's post if you self identify as disabled you are afforded 30 days to change your mind and the corresponding usage in your plan.

@PublicMob3   actually, let me take back to what I have said earlier ..

The 15 days trial period in fact does not even apply  for Postpaid account without a phone purchase with contract.

this is what it said on CRTC site  https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/code.htm

Trial period
You can return your cellphone within 15 days, without penalty, if you are unhappy with your service. Use up to half of your allowed monthly usage during the trial period.

So, what is the trial period for?  It is for when you purchased a new phone and you can return your phone.  Look like it is NOT for the service

Another page might have clearer explanation to the situation:  https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/period.htm

You just got a new phone and now you really wish you could return it and cancel that contract you signed. It happens. Maybe you don’t like the service. Maybe you just don’t like the phone you chose. Or maybe you’ve just found a better deal. Whatever the reason, you do have options.

If you have a contract with an early cancellation fee, you have a trial period.

Now, under the rules of the Wireless Code, you can cancel your contract and return your phone if you’re not happy with it. And you can do this at no cost, within 15 days of your purchase, if you haven’t used more than half of the monthly data specified in your plan.

Two reasons why there is NO 15 days trail period in your situation

1.  You didn't get a phone with the plan here with a contract

2. There is no early cancellation fee with PM.  This is Prepaid service and hence no cancellation fees at all.

Yes, these terms are complicated and need time to understand.  Be careful if you switch back to your old provider and if you sign up a contract with a new phone  🙂

@PublicMob3 wrote:

From research, it seems what I'm reading is that prepaid means I don't get any refund at all. The 15-day trial period protection by the law doesn't protect consumers from burning $40 prepaid??

Really disappointed.

There's nothing preventing carriers from offering trial/satitsfcation guarantee time periods to prepaid customers.  Carriers only don't do it because they don't have to and for no other reason.

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@PublicMob3 

That's one of the reasons there are no refunds for prepaid service.

PublicMob3

Hey, prepaid services not protected by 15-day trial is apparently not common knowledge. Expensive lesson to learn. You'd assume such consumer protection applies to all services in Canada, right?
I'm trying to find a friend to use it on their second phone. My previous provider offered a comparable winback, hence the cancel.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Have you talked with a lawyer?  Maybe even start a gofundme page?

JL9
Mayor / Maire

If you are that unhappy you may be able to recoup some by giving your plan to a friend or family member looking for an affordable tier 3 option. If you still have almost 4 weeks left on it plus you have your 5 welcome bonus points and your 10 bucks in your balance if you used a referral code I am sure you could get 20-25 for it. Maybe even 30, just a thought.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob3 

Prepaid customers are afforded very few rights under the WCC. Even the ones we do have are apparently open to interpretation by the CCTS with no ability to appeal even an erroneous decision.

But what has you so unsatisfied with your pm service?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@PublicMob3 Sorry, there is no 15 days trial period for Prepaid provider.  I think that is for Post-paid service only

PM is a prepaid service , you paid for your service on the next 30 days.  No refund

Please make sure you login to My Account and disable Pre-Authorized payment.  It would have been enabled by default.  Disable it or PM will keep charging you

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob3 

Sorry that 15 day period applies to postpaid only.

Prepaid is just what it says. You pay before you get to use the service and unfortunately it's not refundable here.

The one good thing about prepaid service, is that there's no surprise charges or overage charges like other service providers.

Need Help? Let's chat.