cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canary Islands

BPrior
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I see that Spain in a country included in long distance add on.  Does that include the Canary Islands?  They are not geographically in the country of Spain, but are located off the coast of Africa.  Thanks for the help.  

26 REPLIES 26

@BPrior 

I kind of thought I did too.....maybe, maybe not, maybe it got deleted? If I tagged  Something--Silly that might have bern reported and deleted but @softech came up with the country code first so I would have expected that to be your choice.

this is a great post.. for learning PM Add-ons and a nice geography and politic lesson.  LoL

BPrior

Funny I was going to give it to you but I could not find you message.  I got quite a few responses 🙂

@softech 

Lol.....usurped again!🤣🤣🤣

@BPrior 

Worst case scenario you have 33 countries you can prank call....

@BPrior Did you make a test call as suggested?

BPrior

Who would have thought my question would have lead to so much fun.

So Gibraltar is actually not part of the United Kingdom.  It is a British Overseas Territory.  A bit like the Falkland Islands, or from a US perspective, Guam.  That probably explains why it is not part of the UK calling plan.  Yes…I had to look that up.  

Anyway….I bought the time. Worst case scenario is I wasted $15.  

@softech wrote:

now... my next question.. Can PM call Gibraltar? 

if so, would it be part of International call (so close to Spain but not Spanish .. ) or UK calling package (British overseas territory )..    LoL

UK is country code +44, Gibraltar is +350, so in this case no - not included.... Or so I thought!!

Tried calling "GIBFIBRE" at +350 225 000000 - and initially I got the "Public Mobile here, sorry your call cannot be completed as dialed and try again" but then it actually went through!  Tried again, and got the PM message, but call was ended. 3rd call went through again... none of them show in the PM call logs. Calls to a few other numbers all die after the "Sorry..." message. 🤔

@softech 

Hey I'm fully vaccinated! Oh wait I'm meeting @Anonymous at the burj......

Maybe. 
BUT:

Do I have 2 vaccines?

Astrazenica?

Mixed?
Within 8 weeks?

It’s going to get real stupid to travel. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

.call it and ask if they take reservations. 

@LurganIeUk   5 stars review.. you want to meet up there tonight?   LoL

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

As a test....google a restaurant in the Canary Islands.....call it and ask if they take reservations. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.30.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.31.21 AM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Google Maps, zoom down to a large centre, find a recognizable name with a pointer, click on the pointer, find a phone number, call it...see what happens. The Ikea test was of course all Spanish but I made out Ikea. It was in Tenerife. And it wasn't a PM recording.

oh.. you guys calling Ikea in Spain..  should have called Zara or Mango instead..

@BPrior  

And I was about to call the museum of the canary islands.....but @Anonymous called Ikea instead. I still haven't used a single one of my 900 international minutes!

@Anonymous wrote:

@BPrior : But it went through! 🙂

Spanish.. Ikea?????  I am lost.. too much Olympic games lately.. too many countries mentioned.. LOST!!!

now... my next question.. Can PM call Gibraltar? 

if so, would it be part of International call (so close to Spain but not Spanish .. ) or UK calling package (British overseas territory )..    LoL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BPrior : But it went through! 🙂

BPrior

Ok the call to ikea made me laugh....hope you did not accidentally order a bunch of book cases 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BPrior 

for country spain phone code +34 

and for The Canary Islands are part of the country of Spain and the phone code +34 

is will working ... just make sure the phone code if the same is working but if is it a different won't working.. check it out.

@BPrior wrote:

The Canary Islands are part of the country of Spain.  But as I said located off the African coast.  A bit like the US and Hawaii. 

thanks for the info.  I suspected they would not be but you never know.  

@BPrior 

I like you talked about US and Hawaii.. I guess US roaming covers Hawaii and Alaska , too.. So, there is a chance Canary islands is included.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BPrior 

Canary Island and Spain share the same country code (34).. i think there is a chance it is included.

but I would open a ticket with Mod to confirm.  

(honest, this is a tough questions.. I need to dig into my Geography books as well as my Politics books) 

Despite the fact that they’re geographically part of the African continent. But they ‘belong’ to Europe. As mentioned above, they’re actually recognized under the protectorate of Spain and are therefore European

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BPrior : So much for my geography and reading skills. I didn't know Spain "owned" them. Then yes...I called Ikea there and they answered. That was my edit above.

BPrior

The Canary Islands are part of the country of Spain.  But as I said located off the African coast.  A bit like the US and Hawaii. 

thanks for the info.  I suspected they would not be but you never know.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BPrior 

only this the have for $15 300 International Long Distance Minutes

Included countries: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France,Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Venezuela

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BPrior : I think you need your GPS re-calibrated. They're off the coast of Africa...not Spain. And no the Canary Islands would not be callable using PM other than calling cards or voip apps.

Edit: lol YMMV

Need Help? Let's chat.