Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-US plan is here for everyone

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/activation/plans/40GB-4Gspeed

hTideGnow_0-1689360022461.png

.. it is showing in my area, so no longer Quebec only!!

62 REPLIES 62

@Doug12- What region are you set to and what region do you want? Did you click on the all plans tab? Quebec has some different roaming plans. The rest of Canada just has the $50 plan. The roaming plans have the ++ and the others have the 3.

@Doug12  This plan is available to all and includes roaming in the US just long as you change to plan that’s 40GB for $50 CAN/US  and you’re good to go . Just make sure you make plan change for next renewal and not immediately. Or you lose money on your current cycle 

Doug12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why is this plan not shown to me when I click on change my subscription. It shows the same plan except that the two little crosses are replaced by a 3 - this small detail makes a huge difference as the 3 designates that roaming charges apply in the US while the two little crosses designate that roaming in the US is included. I want to sign up for the roaming included plan but need help on how to get to it when I already have an account.

FormosaWest1

Well usually the price of anything is determined more or less like this:

Total fixed costs + variable costs + margin = Price.

When prices dont seem to scale in a linear fashion its usually because the Fixed costs are higher proportionaly than the variable costs at one end of the price offering. With telecoms i expect there is a lot of ammortization of costs going on .. new equipment vs old equipment and depreciation. Repairs. Electricity. Maintenance. Contract costs. .. Eventjough public mobile is owned by telus, and the equipment is contractually 'rented' from bell and telus, public mobile is still a complex self-contained operation highly dependant on the expenses that each user costs the company. So low end users typically get less for the money by virtue of the fact that customers represent cost as well as revenue and that has to be carefully managed to avoid all-out buisness failure.

It's all just marketing anyway. 3G plans have access to the 4G and 5G networks, but at throttled speeds. We've seen some of the other tier 3 providers offer 10 Mbps on their "3G" plans versus 3 Mbps at PM. In the short term it would be great if PM matched their tier 3 competitors in this regard; 10 Mbps is ample for most light users anyway. But yeah, eventually they'll probably move everyone to 4G plans, but seeing as they haven't even been available for a year yet, you might have a bit of a wait. But of course PM has been making some pretty wild improvements over the past 6 months, many of which I wouldn't have predicted a year ago (so what do I know!).

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

"Offering 4G on the lower spend plans won't motivate some to up their spend"

no it won't, but if you ask me the "some" who were going to already have lol. They're kidding themselves if they don't think people will hold out on the 3g plans which will eventually grandfather into 4g at the same lower rates when the 3g technology is officially killed

Telus, the owner, are a multi billion dollar company. They can afford to cut people a break... And imo they should with how we're seeing things like 11 million Canadians needing help with groceries just recently 😕

Their main goal is Average Revenue Per User (ARPU). They want to push that average as high as they can, and they know the higher dollar plans are a good way to do that. They provide low dollar 3G plans to meet regulatory requirements, but they definitely want to encourage us to move up to the higher dollar plans. Offering 4G on the lower spend plans won't motivate some to up their spend, hence why they're not doing it. That'll probably change eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it happening anytime soon. 

And I believe that the cost of US roaming is minimal to the Canadian carriers, but it's a way to get us to up our spend with little cost to PM. Some will abuse it, but that vast majority will only use the US service periodically but they'll spend that higher rate every month. 

Oh and it's to compete with Freedom who offers the exact same plan, including access to extended network in Canada (via roaming partners).

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So, how is it that they can manage $50 for a Canada and US plan, very valuable for those who travel alot, but the 4g Canada only plans they can't swing any lower than $39?

Also still no 4g plans for light users (like say 3gb for $30 or something) - that's a bummer

@Rickpods 

you can let the phone to try to automatically connect to T-Mobile

if you don't see it connected , change the network selection to manual and pick T-Mobile. Generally, this is how to do it

Slide two fingers downwards starting from the top the screen.
Tap Mobile networks.
Tap Network operators.
Tap the required SIM.
Tap the indicator next to "Select automatically" to turn off the function and wait while your mobile phone searches for networks.
Ta T-Mobile from the list there

Cannonman631

I did today in Ontario 

Rickpods

Both Samsungs. Not sure what model.

I wonder if it's phone specific. I've never had to do that with any of my Pixel phones when roaming in the US. Automatic works fine for me. Maybe it's an Apple thing 😛

Rickpods

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but a relative of mine had singed up for a Canada/US plan with Telus late last fall. When he traveled to the US his service did not work and after serveral calls to Telus they discovered that he had to switch his 2 cell phones to select T Mobile instead of automatically select carrier. All work fine in the US after that!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@WesH  Yes . You got it 

@WesH- Correct. Although we so far know not Alaska. And coverage in the US is not the responsibility of Public.

WesH

I just signed up for this plan. I want to make sure I understand the all the fine print. 
My understanding is with this plan I can use my phone and data in the Canada and the US with no extra roaming charges. Is this correct?

@FormosaWest1- In a way, Telus and Bell are doing automatic "carrier roaming" to use your term. But no, not to Rogers. And the company needs to have agreements with other providers to offer roaming elsewhere. So that's T-Mobile in the states. It used to include AT&T but no one has been able to connect to AT&T for over a year. Maybe they'll come back. No one has reported that yet. We still hear of not.
So just leave the networks on automatic. It will connect to only Public when it can. It will connect to only T-Mobile when it can.
A wrinkle is that T-Mobile has no infrastructure in Alaska and so they have a roaming agreement with a provider there. But that doesn't include their own roaming agreements with external providers (or at least Public).
You don't need to manually select one or the other.

FormosaWest1

I was able to sign up for it from here in BC.

What im hearing is that it allows access over the Public mobile and t-mobile network - but perhaps doesnt allow carrier roaming within Canada or Us ... so you wont be able to connect to anything other than Public mobile in canada and T-Mobile in us. Data roaming needs to be on and Tmobile needs to be selected when in the usa.

Rickpods

I have signed both myself and my wife to this plan without any problems..chat confirmed it is Canada wide now and the small print about it being in Quebec only is incorrect.  I was able to port my wifes phone number over easily as it had been with Fido.   My phone service was with Fonus, different story.  I can now make phone calls with the phones internal app before which I could not do before..I had to use the Fonus app to make and receive calls and texts.  My number comes up on other peoples phones as the number that I wanted ported to Public Mobile but when people call me the Fonus app takes over and I have answer though that app..My temporary phone number that I had selected with Public when I initially signed up yesterday in no longer in service.  This does not make any sense to me....I have put in a ticket and provided the required info...

Hi @Rickpods 

it will work for new activation too, as you can see on the site.  

For support, it is all online, no phone number to call.  But you just need to be a bit more patient.  Also, post your question and Community will try to help

I'm in BC and I was able to go through the process of changing my plan to it. You'll need the app though. 

Rickpods

I am only interested to sign up with Public Mobile if I can sign up for the Canada/Us plan outside of Quebec.    If a person clicks on the detail of the plan it still shows (on the last line) that its for Quebec residents only.

At Public Mobile it's all self serve. Do you have a SIM card yet? There is an e-sim option, but there are some bugs so personally I'd recommend a physical SIM at this time. And don't order from Public Mobile as shipping is slow. Either stop by a local Telus/Koodo store to see if they have any, or order on Amazon.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/pick-up-SIM

Rickpods

Has anyone out there been able to sign up for this plan outside of Quebec.    I am not yet a Public Mobile customer but will be if I can sign up....Its hard to get a hold of an agent!

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Whoa nice find! I check for this every day, but somehow I missed this this morning. Thank you!!!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow  Nice find . It in my province too . This has go to be the best summer for phone plan I’ve ever saw . Typically this time a year sucks for plans . Can’t wait to see some hopefully better offer come sept . When the kiddos go back to school 😉

Don't worry about it. You made a nice thread "announcing" it. I happened to notice it earlier when looking at plans for the Quebec fine print thread earlier and said something in that thread.

HI @softech   Apparently I was not the first one announcing the news.  But at least I got confirmation that I was not the only one seeing it and it really a plan for all provinces now

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Nice find @hTideGnow 

Finally, it is One Canada!!!

oh @dust2dust  you mentioned too? I guess i joined the party late  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.