cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to update Android any further

Hadza2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Samsung Galaxy A8 phone (from 2018). I hadn't updated the Android OS since I got it until now. It was on Android 8.  I was able to update it to Android 9, but no further.  Since I know Samsung phones allow up to 4 Android version updates, I figure I should be able to get up to at least Android 10 (possibly 11). I had my phone set on automatic updates, but never received any.

Is there something about Public Mobile that doesn't detect updates on Samsung phones? 

Is there a way to force another update now? Maybe with Smart Switch or something?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

@Hadza2 

On my older phones I install a VPN on them and I continue using them. I just use the spares for calling, texting, googling etc.

Downloaded WhatsApp with the TextNow number.

Hadza2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I hadn't actually noticed the need to update the OS until recently, when a couple of apps wouldn't install because my Android version was out of date. Interesting that I went for 5 years without needing to update (I don't use my phone for much beyond calls/texts/telling time/camera, and a few productivity uses.  I also still have tons of storage space), so that's not too bad.  I guess I've had a good run. 

If I can't expect to update beyond Android 9, then I probably won't bother trying to do the Smart Switch thing.

Looks like I'll be going shopping for a new phone in 2024  😊

@computergeek541 

Thanks, I realized that Samsung never promised 3 years of update.
But based on my experience with Samsung and iPhones. I am getting about 3 years on Samsung phones and 7 years updates on iPhones. Just so happens that I got a One UI 6.0 update on my Samsung S22 yesterday. I hope it will be 7 years on the S22 but I doubt, probably about 3 years.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Hadza2 

My spouse have the Samsung S8 plus and I have an old Samsung S9 on OS Android 10 as a backup phone.

Samsung announced that they will offer 5 years of upgrade to their newer phones. On older phones, it was only 3 years of upgrades so it doesn't have anything to do with the carriers.

So your A8 will only get updates to 2021.

Samung never promised major Android version updates for those 3 yaers.  The final security update for this model was in November 2021 and Android 9 was the last major Android release supported.

@Hadza2 wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy A8 phone (from 2018). I hadn't updated the Android OS since I got it until now. It was on Android 8.  I was able to update it to Android 9, but no further.  Since I know Samsung phones allow up to 4 Android version updates, I figure I should be able to get up to at least Android 10 (possibly 11). I had my phone set on automatic updates, but never received any.

Is there something about Public Mobile that doesn't detect updates on Samsung phones? 

Is there a way to force another update now? Maybe with Smart Switch or something?

The 4 years of software updates is only for some of the most recent of Samsung devices.  The Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) will never officially be updated  past Android 9.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Hadza2 

My spouse have the Samsung S8 plus and I have an old Samsung S9 on OS Android 10 as a backup phone.

Samsung announced that they will offer 5 years of upgrade to their newer phones. On older phones, it was only 3 years of upgrades so it doesn't have anything to do with the carriers.

So your A8 will only get updates to 2021.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Hadza2 

to be honest, the a8 is a lower tier device and Samsung didn't support any higher versions above android 9. you can also invest in purchasing a refurbished Samsung s21 off of eBay for $270. and sell the a8 for $80-100 

Samsung S21 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Hadza2 

this is not a carrier issue, PM does not block any OS update.  It is something you need to open ticket with Samsung.   FYI,  if the phone was bought outside of Canada/US , it could be the reason.  Your phone might not be able to get OS update due to regional block on Samsung side

Need Help? Let's chat.