cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive international calls/texts

Angelalala
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I transferred my number a week ago and was able to call and text locally with no problems. However I found out today that my parents in the US have been unable to reach me through either calls or text since I switched to PM(almost filed missing person report...). They used landlines and multiple mobile phones but nothing worked. I never received their texts and calls resulted in "number unavailable". I don't have a international plan but I didn't think that was necessary to receive calls?

10 REPLIES 10

@cellphoneuser1 

An incomplete port assigns the ported number to your phone immediately, and might result in people calling/texting from Telus Mob/Koodo/PM working coming to the PM sim, but calls from other carriers going to the previous carrier still in the "limbo" phase. Retrying the port resolved that it sounds.

@Angelalala Redoing port sounds weird.  Other calls wouldn't be received if porting wasn't done and they can't redo it if the number's already here.  So, it was an account issue but I don't understand their explanation.

@Angelalala 

Good to hear the issue has been resolved by the moderators and/or could have bern achieved by the porting department. Perhaps consider reassigning the solution to @Nezgar  who correctly identified  the problem and a way to resolve it that didn't require moderator assistance.

Angelalala

Thanks guys, issue has been resolved! They had to redo the port and everything works now.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Angelalala wrote:

I transferred my number a week ago and was able to call and text locally with no problems.

Have you had non-Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile callers able to call you without problems as well?

This could be a stuck port that's "partially" ported... You may want to double-check if your old SIM from your previous carrier still works by chance... If it does, that's a clear indicator your previous carrier has not actually completed the port out of their system yet and you'll need to get Public Mobile to retry your port. Ensure the old carriers SIM is in your phone so they can re-send the verification text and you can respond to it within 90 minutes. (Do you remember going through that process before?)

To retry your port (only if your old SIM still works) you can call xxxx (edited: PM me for the number)

Otherwise, it may just take a bit more time for the routing changes to update everywhere....

@Angelalala 

Contact a moderator for assistance.

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Angelalala

Yes, I'm in Canada. They're definitely calling the right number. I just had some friends in other provinces in Canada call me and they're also getting "number unavailable" so it seems any sort of long distance does not work.

Angelalala

Local calls work just fine.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Angelalala 

I presume your location is in Canada.

If you know ANYONE else currently in the US, ask them to try reaching you with both calling and texting.

Are they perhaps using the incorrect number to reach you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelalala : Are you able to receive any other calls? If not then seems your port is having problems. Did you leave your SIM in from your previous provider to confirm the transfer?

Need Help? Let's chat.