cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive group texts or pictures with data off on Samsung Galaxy A35

BRHildebrandt1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife got a new Galaxy A35 phone and everything is working well except for receiving group texts and pictures without data being on. I have this working fine on other phones with public mobile in our family but I can't figure it out on this new Samsung phone. 

My wife does not want to keep her data on all the time, and I can receive messages like this just fine on my phone without data on. 

I have verified APN settings as per the following site with no luck.

https://apn.how/ca/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-a35

Does anyone have any ideas of what other settings I should review?

8 REPLIES 8

EB0
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Group Texing and picture testing are MMS which doesn’t consume date, data to be ON even if you don’t have a data plan.

with data off, the group messages will be sent as individual messages to each number in the group.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BRHildebrandt1 

How many people are on the group text?

There are a maximum number of people on a group text.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@BRHildebrandt1   I posted a link to a Google support page for what I think is the setting you are looking for on a Samsung phone but the post was deleted so I guess the link is not allowed.  So, what it said was go to Mobile Networks -> MMS messages  and toggle on Send and Receive when Mobile Data is off.  Apparently this setting, if you have it, turns on data itself when necessary for MMS messages.

@LitlLdy  I was wondering the same thing.  I thought perhaps @Rastin was thinking of iMessage, which can use either wifi or data but the recipient needs to be using iMessage as well.

@Rastin wrote:

Are the other phones iphones? As they have a setting that let mms an pitcher to be sent when data is off.

@Rastin , I don’t have that setting on any of my iPhones! In order for me to send or receive MMS/Picture messages I have to turn my data on! Can you please tell me where the setting is that you’re talking about?

The only time I don’t need data for sending pictures in messages is when I sending & receiving them using iMessage sent to & from other iPhone users while I am connected to Wi-Fi. If they are not using an iPhone I can not send it to them this way.

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Are the other phones iphones? As they have a setting that let mms an pitcher to be sent when data is off. I don't think android has that feature in it setting that I can find. Data is needed to send and receive one way or the other. Most plans now let you send them even if you don't have data. I understand stand she trying to save data so her best choice would be to go into setting and turn update to wifi only also go through all the app and turn off data for all apps that don't need it.

Well was just look at an IPhone and now can't find where I saw that in the settings. I'm pretty sure that I saw it in there somewhere but I could have been wrong.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@BRHildebrandt1   Cellular data has to be on for MMS picture/group messages.  I used to keep data turned off on my previous phone which was an Android,  and when an MMS message came in it would not be able to download, I'd get a notification and have to turn on data to get the message.   I believe RCS can use either data or wifi.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@BRHildebrandt1 

I don't have an Android phone.

Is your wife's phone RCS Messaging turn on?  RCS messaging requires data or Wifi.

If RCS chat is  turn on, turn it off.

Make sure MMS messaging is turn on.  

Need Help? Let's chat.