cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make/recieve calls in US

gilk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hope someone can help with this, I can't make it recieve calls in the US. I'm on the Canada/USA plan, and data does work. I am connected LTE. But no calls can be made or recieved when in the US. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

start with trying to connect to T-Mobile.  Your phone should automatic change to 2G for voice.  But if voice calls still do not work, change the network mode to 2G (while you are still on T-Mobile)

you can also try Verizon and see if it helps.

KZ1964
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can also download a VOIP app such as textnow and use the textnow # for phone calls

@gilk  As noted, that phone is not VoLTE enabled by Public Mobile so your two options while in the USA are try to connect to manually T-Mobile's 2G network, which should work if available in your area, or download a free voip app like Fongo or TextNow (which will work over data or wifi but have a different phone number).

szu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@gilk wrote:

It's a Samsung Galaxy Note10+, and it was working previously when subscribed to Telus in the USA. I'll try sending a text message tomorrow when I'm in the US and see it that works. Is LTE and VoLTE not the same? 

@gilk 

Unfortunately, it looks like your phone is not on Public mobile VoLTE official list.  PM list is different from Telus even though PM belong under the Telus group of companies. 

@gilk 

Nope they are not the same. VoLTE = Voice over LTE and LTE = 4G data.

gilk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It's a Samsung Galaxy Note10+, and it was working previously when subscribed to Telus in the USA. I'll try sending a text message tomorrow when I'm in the US and see it that works. Is LTE and VoLTE not the same? 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@gilk   I would second the suggestion to try T-Mobile's 2G network.  It's spotty and will also be shut down eventually but it's the only way for a non-VoLTE phone to make voice calls in the USA currently.  With a non-VoLTE phone in the USA data and texting will still work but not voice calls.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@gilk 

Is roaming enabled on the phone settings?

Are you connect to AT&T or T-Mobile network?

szu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@gilk 

Does texting work? Which phone do you have?  Is it VoLTE compatible with Public mobile?

Need a VoLTE compatable phone since the 3G network is decommissioned in the USA. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/volte

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

If not VoLTE compatible, try to connect to 2G network with T mobile. 

Need Help? Let's chat.