cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I receive text message while I am traveling Europe or Middle east?

marysah83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I plan to travel to Europe and Middle east.

I do not want to use my cellphone to call, but I need to check some messages I might be received  within that time.

I am not sure if I can receive any text messages there?

If yes, Do I get charged for keeping my phone on (not in the flight mode) and receiving text messages from Canada?

7 REPLIES 7

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@marysah83 

The only option would be to use a text forwarding app such as Mighty Text. Once downloaded and set up it requires you to leave your pm sim card in a working, "always on" cell phone that is preferably left attached to its charger and plugged in under the care of a trusted friend or family member. Text messages can be accessed thru the app or by signing in online.

If you choose this option then you might as well call forward your pm phone number to a voip provider such as fongo or textnow so you can also recieve your incoming calls while on wifi and/or using mibile data with a local or international sim card. This can be achieved on the $15 plan without incurring or requiring any additional costs.

@marysah83 

sorry but no roaming service over there, i wish them bring it.

but don't worry your SMS is will be save when you return should get them in here.i think i read about 30 days, i'm not sure for how long.

marysah83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks
but I do not want to call or message any one. 
I want to be updated about the messages I might be received when I am away. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@marysah83 

Unfortunately Telus doesn’t have any partners in using the cell towers in Europe or the Middle East.

You will need to purchase a local SIM or download the Fongo, TextNow or WhatsApp (if your other party also have the WhatsApp) for free wifi texting.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@marysah83 

but Download the TextNow App  for free Call and SMS, by use wi-fi.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@marysah83 

public mobile not have service in there.

Need Help? Let's chat.