cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I port my number before I get my new sim?

aniredkar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan with my chatr ends tomorrow. The sim will take two days to arrive. Can I immediately port my number after I make my payment?

5 REPLIES 5

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Where did you order the sim card from? If you ordered it off the PM website you better get comfortable, because that could take upwards of 3 weeks. Amazon is a much quicker option, or local pickup from Telus or Koodo stores.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@aniredkar 

No, you need the SIM card number to activate the SIM. You can pickup a SIM from your local Telus/Koodo store and sell or give away the one you are waiting to arrive. If you phone is eSIM compatible then you can get the free eSIM with the plan you want. There are drawbacks with eSIM…you can’t transfer it to another phone. You need to purchase an eSIM for each phone whereas the SIM you can pop it out and install in the second phone.

Or you can pay the Chatr plan for one more month then port your number over when the SIM arrives.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

In order to start PM service you have to have SIM card. Either hardware SIM or eSIM.
Those two days for SIM arrival... are you sure it will arrive in 2 days????

BOTH accounts have to be active in order to transfer number so your best option is to purchase eSIM (if your phone supports it), subscribe to PM and to number transfer.
Otherwise try to extend your chart for next month or you will lose number.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@aniredkar , you could also use e-SIM right away and complete the port over here.

Then, when you get the physical card, you can switch over to it in self-serve, or simply stay with the e-SIM option.

This is, of course, dependent whether your device is e-SIM compatible.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @aniredkar 

Best advice is to call your local Telus stores and see if they have a SIM card for sale. If so, go pick it up ASAP! That right is the fastest way. Or you'd have to pay 1 more month of Chatr to keep your n umber.

Take a look at the top right corner of this page.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1699910426307.png

Need Help? Let's chat.