cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have text messaging disabled?

razorboy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I have text messaging disabled, so that I cannot receive or send text messages?

14 REPLIES 14

The voip app mentioned does both talk and text. But in the case of TextNow they want you to pay something to get codes. You can talk and text for free with ads but not receive codes unless you pay for a subscription.

numberbarn can receive codes. Pay for a month, get the code and then stop.

Does your phone have a texting app? Do you get texts from here like the renewal texts or the C C T S text and such? If so I wonder what happens if you get a friend to send you a text. I would imagine you can't send out but I wonder about incoming...particularly from the company. Perhaps they filter it to only send you theirs.

razorboy

I asked SUPPORT about that, but received a negative reply.  I could try again and hope that I get a Supporter who knows better, but I won't hold my breath.

razorboy

Sorry, but I don't follow.  The broker stores my new phone # and then sends  a text message to that number, and I enter the code they sent me as a security login.  How would voip assist with that?

Thank you.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@razorboy 

Talk to your brokerage firm they often have an alternative form of verification thru email or voice message. There are still many clients that rely on landlines or a pc for their communication or digital needs and most businesses have a way of accommodating these customers needs.

Perhaps one or more voip apps would receive that text. TextNow for one can do both talk and text. Or pay for one of them for a short period of time. Even numberbarn can receive verification codes.

razorboy

I have never had a phone with texting, and don't want one.  However, my stockproker's system requires that I receive ONE text - only one - and ofter that I don't need it. I have an old PM plan which was grandfathered, it has no texting, so I need to upgrade to a modern plan which will include texting.  After receiving the one text for seucrity, I won't need texting anymore.  This is all about one lousy text message.

razorboy

It is a Samsung Rugby.  Thanks, I will check the settings.

@softech wrote:

@razorboy depends how your phone app integrated with messaging,  maybe disable or uninstall the messaging app

But you sure you want to do that?  PM could text you Important message sometimes, you could miss those messages 

I'm sure that razorboy has reasons for not wanting text messaging services.  However, I think that there are reasons to not try to take active steps to block them.  From my experiences, dcotors an dental offices often send reminders about upcoming appointments by text messages.  Also, when getting deliveries, the delviery person will sometimes send a text messgaes to inform you about the status of your delivery.  These days, it's pretty much expected that people have a cell phones and text messaging services, just as having internet access had been important many years ago.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@razorboy 

What phone do you have?

You can disable SMS and MMS in your settings.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@razorboy 

Whats thev reasoning behind wanting to not send or recieve text messaging? Disabling or uninstalling your messaging app as suggested by @softech should do the trick. If its MMS you want yo disable an edit to your APN can achieve this.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@razorboy depends how your phone app integrated with messaging,  maybe disable or uninstall the messaging app

But you sure you want to do that?  PM could text you Important message sometimes, you could miss those messages 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Interesting question. Why? Just ignore them coming in. Just don't send any.

@razorboy 

Public Mobile doesn't provide a way to disable text messaging.  However, you can instruct most current phones to not show you the messages by disabling the notifications for them.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@razorboy Not that I’m aware of but someone else may have a way

Need Help? Let's chat.