cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls over wifi

kristawells
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve looked at a few posts about this and I’m pretty sure the answer is that Public Mobile does not allow calls over wifi. If I’m wrong, how does one go about setting it up? It’s not that I want to avoid using my cell plan. It’s just that the signal in my house isn’t great so being able to switch to wifi in the house would allow me to get rid of my landline. 

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kristawells 

Lol....everyone but the bf!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@kristawells 

Unfortunately PM does not have wifi calling as noted by everyone.

I have WhatsApp and TextNow app free downloads to make calls and text through wifi.

I personally like WhatsApp because you can make free international calls/texting.

TextNow allows you to choose a local area code number but only free calls to USA and Canada…there is a small fee for international calls. The only catch with TextNow is you must make a call or text each month so you can keep that local number.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kristawells 

Officially pm does not offer wifi calling. Unofficially if the circumstances align you can use wifi calling based on the following experience of the bf.

Strangely after the bf did not top up his account and it was suspended. However being home for the weekend he did not notice as he was able to make calls. After some investigation we surmised that because his phone was originally from telus with wifi calling enabled on the phone and our home services were also with telus the fact that wifi calling was already enabled he was then able to use wifi calling with his pm sim card.

Download voip provider like textnow or fongo for use at home. They can also be used on mobile data (0.5mb/min). A workaround for your calling at home would be to call forward your pm number for busy/declined to your voip provider phone number. Then when your 3G signal is poor or nonexistent it will ring thru to your voip phone number using your wifi connection.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@kristawells   TextNow is like a true phone, you can call anyone mobile line or landline.  it is quiet useful and the voice quality is good.  It is much better than Fongo.  Only complain is that it has quiet some ad.  Fongo has ad too , but less

Download it , test it out, it's free. .Call a landline, call your friend.   Also, TextNow can call US for free as well.  And like a real mobile phone, TextNow can TEXT!!! send and receive for free

That's interesting wording but no...you can call any number. And any number can call it (while the app is connected to the internet).

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Perhaps a cell signal booster would do the trick. Drop in to your local cell repair depot and ask the question. See if they have one you could borrow to test it out....(with a cash deposit of course !)

Let us know if you try it out.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@kristawells wrote:

I’ve looked at a few posts about this and I’m pretty sure the answer is that Public Mobile does not allow calls over wifi. If I’m wrong, how does one go about setting it up? It’s not that I want to avoid using my cell plan. It’s just that the signal in my house isn’t great so being able to switch to wifi in the house would allow me to get rid of my landline. 

@kristawells 

Consider this:

Get a voip.ms account 

Top up account minimum is $15 usd

Ask for a referral code and get a $10 usd credit

If you want to make out bound calls only:

Put the Zoiper app on your phone 

Set up a sub account on voip.ms with the caller ID of your PM number. 

Make your OUTBOUND calls from your Zoiper account. 

If you want to take inbound calls:

Put the Zoiper app on your phone 

You can have numerous set ups on the Zoiper app

You will need to buy a DID from voip.ms

Set up the DID with your PM number as caller ID 

Set up a sub account 

Then transfer your PM calls to your voip.ms DID. 

The hassle here is to turn  on/off call forwarding on your PM line. 

The other  hassle is texting. 

kristawells
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I checked out the TextNow app. It says “TextNow lets you go out of network and call any smartphone, computer or tablet connected to the internet.”  That means you can only make a call to a phone that’s connected to the internet? Not to a phone that’s not near wifi? Just connected to cell?That doesn’t seem very useful. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Not yet, maybe in the future. For now, PM is just plain mobile service.

Is your land line voip or 'real' wires service (Bell)?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kristawells wrote:

@kristawells   no Wifi Calling 

As @esjliv  mentioned, you can use Fongo and TextNow.  With that VoIP app, what you can do is to Forward when unavailable to your VoIP number.  In this case, even your house signal is weak and you didn't get the call on PM, the call get routed to your VoIP app on our phone and your phone would still ring, the VoIP app will ring  🙂

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@kristawells you are correct, no wifi calling at Public Mobile currently.

edit, you can download a free calling/text app, Fongo or Textnow is often used or recommended.

Need Help? Let's chat.