cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call dropped a lot recently

Kev8679
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been a PM customer for over a year with no previous call quality issues. However, for the past 2-3 weeks, I've experienced frequent call drops, including a critical business call yesterday that dropped every 5-10 minutes. Additionally, there were clarity issues with my voice being heard by others, and I also faced poor call quality. Is anyone aware of any current issues with PM's network in the West GTA (Mississauga, Oakville, Hamilton) area? Any information would be helpful for deciding my next steps. Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16

DRPaquette

I have an IPhone 13 ProMax 1 TB

HI @DRPaquette  

what phone do you have? iPhone or Android?

Try reboot the phone, try to Reset all networks

and check if it mainly happen when you are at some particular area

DRPaquette

That same thing has been happening to me. Calls attenuating and dropping. What the hell is going wrong with the service? 

Raheel672
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't have a toggle to see and/or turn it on/off. This has been an ongoing issue since I switched to PM back in spring 

@Raheel672   Do you  have VoLTE enabled?  If so try disabling it if you have a toggle for it.  If it is enabled turn it to off and see if that makes a difference.   I typically often have only one or two bars when I'm in the house and no dropped calls.

Raheel672

Galaxy S23. I am monitoring both, bars before and during calls. 

HI @Raheel672  what phone you have?  The bars you see before you are in a call are usually for LTE.  Many people still use 3G for voice and hence the signal bars strength you see before a call is made does not apply. You have to check how many bars you have when you are in a call

Raheel672

Have you monitored your signal bar? I am usually getting calls drops or silence when the bars are 2 or less. I have to move around in my house to get better signals 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I didn't really have a solution unfortunately other than wait and it seems a bit better now. I guess you could force your phone to use the 3G network, but then data would be slower so it almost defeats the purpose. I don't know if it's something that will improve with time or not. The LTE network has been around for quite a while. 

@Kev8679   Most iPhones on PM don't  have a VoLTE toggle, it's just automatically enabled.  To try 3G go to Settings - Cellular - Cellular Data Options - Voice and Data - then set to 3G if you have that option.  I'm not sure if the iPhone 14 does, mine's a 13.  If that doesn't improve anything then hopefully customer service can help or at least if it's a PM problem they will be made aware. 

Kev8679

Thank, @Phil_Adelphus.  
Do you have the docs/link to show where to check the VoLET status (On/OFF) on the iPhone?
I have an iPhone Pro Max 14, but I cannot find the toggle you referred to re: VoLET & 3G.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Kev8679  If your phone is enabled for VoLTE try turning it off if you are able.  If not enabled and there's a toggle then turn it on.  If that doesn't help or you don't have a toggle for VoLTE try setting the phone to 3G instead of higher.  If no luck with that then contact customer support by private message here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

An agent will reply at the envelope icon top right or tap your avatar for Messages.

Kev8679

Thank you, @Sansan. Will try your suggestions.
Changing the location is not easy because I cannot drive around during business calls.
Will try the remove/install the SIM card & in another phone. Thanks again! 

Kev8679

Thanks for your info, @jor123 
What was your resolution or workaround in the summertime when this problem happened?
If the VoLET is the cause, I am thinking should I stay with the PM network to wait for the fix? Or do something else to get out of this situation?

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Regrettably I have heard about a lot of these issues as of late. I did not see any announcements to justify what you are indicating. 

My suggestions are to restart your phone every now and then, try to change your location if possible to see if it could be the area. 

If you are using a physical SIM then maybe remove it and reposition it. Also, try it in another phone if possible to test. 

Hope these will help.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I had a lot of issues over the summer in peak tourism season (NL), especially with being able to hear the other person but them not receiving any sound at all from me, almost as if there was too much congestion to upload anything on VoLTE. Seems to have stabilized again now. VoLTE almost seems less reliable than the old 3G/HSPA voice to me.

Need Help? Let's chat.