cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN MY SIM FUNCTION IN NIGERIA SOMEHOW?

Grandeur
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, so I recently had to make a trip to Nigeria for about 2 months and I have been trying to get my sim to work to no avail. So the major bone of contention is that I can only access my TD Canada bank account with an OTP sent to my number but unfortunately, on getting the Nigeria, even the sim doesn't seem to work when roamed so I am not getting any of the OTPs. Is there a way I can use my sim here in Nigeria until I get back into Canada. Maybe like an online service I can port my number to in order to access messages and probably calls. 

Any useful information will be much appreciated please.1

7 REPLIES 7

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Something that so many don’t think of when choosing Text rather than email when  setting up 2FA. Recently I noticed the set up for some 2FA didn’t even have an email option. And guess what, the moment you get on a foreign IP the bank wants you to verify it’s you and you can’t.

TD has an app called “TD Authenticate” that you can load on your device to solve this problem but I’m not sure if you can successfully do this if already out of the country or not.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

No, in fact most Canadian carriers including higher tiers wouldn't work in Nigeria, the TD authenticator app should take card of your banking issue.

@softech- lol spell check.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Grandeur   I just checked , TD Canada allows 2FA via TD's own Authenticator app.  Please consider that, it is the best way for 2FA, much safer than text or phone calls  And the best of all , you can use this in Niagara Nigeria without any roaming service

[thanks @dust2dust ]

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Grandeur   Sorry PM doesn't offer roaming options for any country other than US.  You'll need to get a local SIM or use WIFI apps like Skype, Whatsapp.  Textnow is another app that is often recommended here.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Grandeur hi no your public sim only works in Canada or US with a roaming package 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Grandeur   No, PM does not have roaming service there.

For 2FA , you have to contact TD to see if they can use other mean to send the code, like email or Authenticator app

Need Help? Let's chat.