cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought US Roaming Talk/Text/Data Roaming before Trip - Won't make or receive calls at all

Mike8500
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I'm reaching out here to get support from Public Mobile.  I am not able to create a support ticket as it gives me repeated 404 errors.

I purchased a US roaming 15 day talk/text/data add on prior to making a trip into the US.  In the US, I can not make or receive calls, could not access voicemails, data was very intermittent and sometimes text messages will go out, but not always.  Many times they just won't send.  The area we are in has good coverage as my Wife, who was also on Public Mobile and bought the exact same add-on is able to make calls, receive calls, send texts and use data at all times without issue.  

I've tried all the tricks, restarting my phone, toggling airplane mode, checking my network connection settings and it just doesn't work.   

I feel like I've been ripped off as the payment went through to my CC, yet the add-on that I paid for doesn't work.  We bought these add-ons so we could have a reliable way to communicate with each other, but that is not the case.

@CS_Agent 

36 REPLIES 36

If you don't have VoLTE, that's what the issue is as far as phone calls are concerned. You might get lucky with some 2G coverage for phone calls, but there's no guarantee there. Without VoLTE you should not expect phone calls to work, per the warnings about the US having shut down their 3G network. 

Text and data should have been fine though, assuming you were in the T-Mobile coverage area and you had data roaming enabled on your device. 

Don't bother with WCDMA.

Are these Androids?

Mike8500

Neither phone has VoLTE.  I tried having my phone on "LTE/WCDMA?GSM (Auto Connect)" I also tried "WCDMA/GSM (autoconnect)" and that didn't work either.

I don't have a 5G phone.

Are either devices enabled for volte? You should be fine for text and data on lte but if you don't have volte then talk needs to be able to use the old 2G GSM which has less coverage.

If you are set on 5G then set it to 4G lte.

If you see a toggle for volte then turn it on anyway to see if talk works.

Mike8500

Yes, originally it was connected to T-Mobile, and it would not make or receive calls.  After searching the forums and public mobile page which stated that Public was set up for roaming on T-Mobile and AT&T I tried to select AT&T which would not connect.  After that, it would not connect with any network (when auto select was chosen, and when manually selecting a network, T-Mobile wouldn't even show up anymore.)  I've sent a private message.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Mike8500 , are you connected to T-Mobile Network?

The virtual assistant/chatbot is broken! It has been for quite some time. Sorry.

You can send a private message to a CS_Agent: ->   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Customer Support Agents are available from:

• Monday to Sunday: 9 AM to 10 PM EST

A CS_Agent will respond back in your Community mailbox at the top right of this page (envelope icon to the left of your community avatar).

Need Help? Let's chat.