cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block usage

TanyaWaiz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son had 3GB, was always going over -  I changed provider, Upgraded him to 20GB on his phone and now he is always on his phone.  On other plans i was able to block his usage, is there a way to do this on Public mobile ? Total, per week,  per day etc…. Any type on parent control 

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

TanyaWaiz

Yeah.  I need to change it as he is quicker than me. 
thanks again 

@TanyaWaiz and make sure he has no access to your My Account and the 4 digits account PIN, then he would not be able to add data or change plan himself  

these days, tough to be parents  🙂

TanyaWaiz

Thanks.  He has figured how to bypass that and changed his appleID so he is no longer linked to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

TanyaWaiz

Thanks. I downgraded him to 1GB, he is not happy about it.  Oh well 😊

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The phone will likely have its own parental controls on it. But not here. But maybe the kid could figure out how to break through parental controls anyway.
I would suggest dropping him down to the $25 plan with 1gb and tell him to conserve his data or use wifi. Unfortunately, this place sends out texts for easy purchasing of data and plan upgrades. They should be doing a verification step on those but they don't. Then it's up to you as the parent to control that. Don't let a kid run rough-shod over you the parent. You're in control, not him. If he wants to pay for it himself then he can go right ahead. Then the next parental control is controlling how much time he can spend online.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TanyaWaiz !if he has a iPhone you can limit the screen time in phone settings so he can only use it at certain hours and out a pin lock on it so only you can change it 

@TanyaWaiz 

Add to @Priority reply, the local data limiter could work, but PM is on 30 days cycle and not monthly while the phone's tracker 8d monthly. So, you will have to manually change the cycle on the phone every 30 days. 

And your son likely old enough to find that setting , so you need an app to lock down the settings page to make it work

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If it's a Samsung or Android, there is Data limit and options available to be set within Data Settings. 

Although, you can never be billed for going over with Public Mobile so you don't have to worry. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Not really. When he reaches 20GB depending on a plan data will either stop completely or it will be throttled down. Check your plan for further details. If he has access to his account and account is on autopay he can always buy extra data without your knowing it until you get a credit card bill.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@TanyaWaiz PM is prepaid and he cannot overuse the data.  Once he reaches the max, it will either stop working or if it is a 5G plan, he will be using data at a much slower speed, just 512Mbps  512kbps,  which is just enough for basic browsing and text, won't be too useful for video streaming 

(thanks @MetaMorpheusMob for catching the typo..)

Need Help? Let's chat.