cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Cautious: Account transfer, can someone take over my account without my permission?

Jennz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

A person transferred their account to me, they had the special 38$ plan. All we did was login to the account then change the profile and all passwords + username and credit info

Is it possible they can takeover the account by porting the number out? they had access to the account before and they know my account number. They agreed to keep the same number with me since it is a new #

I am just being over cautious since I am not tech savvy.

Jennz

12 REPLIES 12

Jennz

Thanks everyone! amazing community

computergeek541, my concern was if the person wants their phone number back, they can sell it out with a good plan then get paid and run with the money and phone number, yes I will change my phone number in case this happens.

Appreciated

Yes, someone could easily port out your phone number without your permission if they have both your phone number and account number.  Although Public asks for an authorization name when porting a number in, not all carriers do, and based on the information provided by the CWTA, just the account number alone is enough to fully transfer a phone number over.

I really can't see why someone would do that, as a stolen or mistakenly ported out phone number can be reversed.  It  would likely be some type of practical joke by someone who dislikes you or is in an argument with you.  Like I said, why would someone waste his or her time?

Glad we could help you @Jennz anymore questions and there is a great community here to help you when we can

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You're welcome @Jennz.

Please go ahead and mark @ShawnC13's post as the solution.  I believe that is the most right solution for this situation.  Cheers.  

Jennz

Thank you guys!  I would like to mark the post as resolved but I feel bad because both of you helped me, can I pick both of your answers as a solution?

imm1304

@Jennz, I recommend that you just change phone number.

Sign in to your account:  https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca

Click on the Plans and add-ons tab, and then click on "Change Number" tab.  Select the "New Number" option and pick a new number.  This is much better permanent solution.  You dont have any attachment with the number you took over because its a new number anyways.  So, go ahead and do this.  

Yes change your pin and your phone number.  If it is a new number for you then it won't be an issue to just send it out to people again with a new number.  They charged you a fee???  Man people will try and make money off of anything.  They probably activated this sim and used their own PM number as a referrer to continue to get money off for as long as you are a customer as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

imm1304

@Jennz, see my previous post.

They would only do such a thing if they want to harass you.  They already recovered the money they initially paid from you.  So its very unlikely that anyone would do this to you just for fun.

However, you can permanently shut the door on this by changing your phone number as ShawnC mentioned.

Jennz

Thanks imm304! How do I change my PIN? 

Jennz

Thanks Shawn for the quick reply. I don't think they do but maybe they were looking over the screen, I have never done a number porting but I am worried more that they take over the account and run with the money.

Yes, the account had 120 ( 3 months) and we changed the credit card to mine, if they port my number then my account my get closed and I lose + the fee they charged.

My concern is most likely the account number. What happens if they try to to take the phone number? can I still get a new one or the moment they transfer, I get cancelled?

I am not saying they will but I am being cautious.

imm1304

Hi @Jennz!

If the other person knows your Public Mobile PIN number and the name you entered in your account profile, then yes, this person can port out your number if they wish to do so.  Simply change your PIN, change the name entered in your account profile via selfserve and problem solved.  

However, I don't see any real benefit to him/her.. he/she doesn't stand to gain anything. If number is ported out, this account will be automatically closed, leaving your sim card useless and no one else will benefit because there is no taking over of that account.  It will for sure be closed/deactivated.  

EDIT:  @ShawnC13's suggestion is the simplest solution.  Just change your phone number in selfserve (Plans and add-ons >> Change number >> New number)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I am not sure when a port is done it needs to be or have the name of someone authorized to do it.  Do they have your full name?  So you got this plan from someone do you paid them $120 for the 3 months of service?  If this is a new number you could always just get another number (no charge) Then they don't have your number to transfer anymore

Need Help? Let's chat.