cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery health of pre-owned iPhones?

greygoose22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Just curious on other's experience buying a pre-owned iPhone through public mobile? More specifically one in "Very Good" condition.

My main concern is the battery health percentage. Are they usually 85% or higher? Would be a shame to buy one and it be 80%.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Meow Glad you love it

I don't know about the 80% max and then charge it whenever it reasch 30% or so.  Some people recommend that.  

I am still old school, I still charge to 100% and use to like 10% before I put it to charging  

Maybe I should start a post  to ask

Even my little laptop has BIOS option to charge to 80% only as 'battery life saver' option.

I guess 'old school'i is more toward NiCd batteries. 🙂

Yes, it will be a good idea to start topic regarding batteries as these days they are very difficult to change in modern phones so let them live long and prosperous life!

@Meow Glad you love it

I don't know about the 80% max and then charge it whenever it reasch 30% or so.  Some people recommend that.  

I am still old school, I still charge to 100% and use to like 10% before I put it to charging  

Maybe I should start a post  to ask

@hTideGnow wrote:

On Android, use AccuBattery

Just to provide feedback...

AccuBattery is really interesting and powerful program. It does need few days/weeks to determine 'battery health' but in the mean time it does provide a lot of valuable info regarding battery usage.

It does recommend charging it to 80% only?! I did accept that recommendation and its alarm notifies me when 80% has been reached. Maybe it will extend me phone's battery life. Time will tell.

Thank you @hTideGnow for a tip!

@Meow wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Fantastic point. While I have had numerous iPhones I have installed new batteries as is fairly easy on an SE down. But newer than first gen SE it gets more difficult. I ALWAYS ask for battery health before I buy a second hand iPhone.

How would you determine 'battery health'? Battery could be charged fully 2 minutes before purchase and will show 100%. In 30 min it could be 80% or less.

HI @Meow   on iOS, Settings > Battery shows you your battery health

On Android, use AccuBattery

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Fantastic point. While I have had numerous iPhones I have installed new batteries as is fairly easy on an SE down. But newer than first gen SE it gets more difficult. I ALWAYS ask for battery health before I buy a second hand iPhone.

How would you determine 'battery health'? Battery could be charged fully 2 minutes before purchase and will show 100%. In 30 min it could be 80% or less.

@Meow wrote:

That is a big lottery... I doubt phones are really tested for battery capacity or battery gets exchanged during 'pre-delivery inspection'.

Somebody would have to unglue phone, put new battery, properly glue it back, test, etc. It takes time (and money)...

I believe phones are graded by physical condition: scratches, nicks and dings, maybe dead pixels...

@Meow 

Fantastic point. While I have had numerous iPhones I have installed new batteries as is fairly easy on an SE down. But newer than first gen SE it gets more difficult. I ALWAYS ask for battery health before I buy a second hand iPhone. I look for 90% or better. Lowest I would go is 88% If PM is not giving a guarantee of at least 88% or better......you should reconsider. Not sure, but I guess Apple would charge $130 and that may be a phone exchange with a new battery. Personally I don’t trust the cart on wheels shops in a mall to do battery replacements. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

That is a big lottery... I doubt phones are really tested for battery capacity or battery gets exchanged during 'pre-delivery inspection'.

Somebody would have to unglue phone, put new battery, properly glue it back, test, etc. It takes time (and money)...

I believe phones are graded by physical condition: scratches, nicks and dings, maybe dead pixels...

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@greygoose22 

I agree with @softech that the grading of the condition phones are based on physical condition and the battery health would be secondary.

Ones with higher percentage battery health are mostly aftermarket batteries replacement with higher percentage.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

What iPhone are you looking for and price?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@greygoose22   I am pretty certian  these phone are graded by the physical condition  rather than the battery condition.  

We saw some people came back with good review in terms of battery but some had bad experience.  Honest, buying used phone is hit or miss.  But the good thing for buying here is that you have 30 days full refund and one year full warranty.  So, order one, test it out and if you don't like it, return quick before the end of the 30 days

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I'd bet they are all 85+%, @greygoose22 

We got an iPhoneXR last year in "Very Good" condition, and it had a 94 or 95% battery health.

EDIT:   If you are unsatisfied, you do have 30 days to refund with no cost to you.

Need Help? Let's chat.