cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone battery health

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm writing to ask apple users about their batteries.  I'm not an apple guy, so I only know what I've seen others say and read about them.  I bought my mom an iphone 6s plus a few years ago from orchard and they said they had changed the battery on it already.  The phone worked ok for the first year all year, but last winter it became obvious the colder weather quickly affects the battery to the point the phone will turn off after being in a coat pocket at lower temperature.  The battery status still says 100% also so I don't trust that function one bit. 

I've had it on adaptive use or whatever it's called since we bought it, and the phone is really only used for texting and pictures, mom is 79 now so there's no social media or youtube.

How do you evaluate these batteries properly or would you just pay the ifixit store for a new one and be done with it?

8 REPLIES 8

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels 

You need to look in settings...Battery Health. 

@BKNS27 wrote:

@on2wheels 

All batteries will degrade over time and depends on how many charging cycles on the phone. A charging cycle is when you charge the phone when it drops below 80%.

Just plugging in an charging becuase the battery drops below 80% isn't considered a charging cycle.  Plugging it to constantly charge when it's above 80% because of the thought that doesn't count as a cycle is one of the worst things someone can do for the health of the battery.

@BCW wrote:

Hi,

We have three iphones and I find that the battery status works very well and gives accurate information on the battery capacity.

I your iphone as 100% of battery capacity the problem is elsewhere.

Make sure the iphone is up to date with ios.

A phone displaying a battery percentage of being 100% charged doesn't mean the battery is healthy.  That reading doesn't tell you how long it can hold the charge nor does it warn you of large drops that happen while a battery has started to fail.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@on2wheels , I had an essential phone that had a weird battery issue that was temperature related.  If the phone cools down a little when outside in the winter (just slightly below freezing), the battery would report zero charge and cause phone shutdown.  If I take the phone indoors and put it on the charger, within 30 seconds, the phone would work and the charge level would be back to normal.  Temperature effects can happen but probably rare.  As for replacement batteries for phones that are older, I wonder if the replacements are new or well aged from sitting on a shelf for years.  Lithium ion batteries do degrade with time even if not used.  

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels 

All batteries will degrade over time and depends on how many charging cycles on the phone. A charging cycle is when you charge the phone when it drops below 80%.
Lithium Ion batteries normally last about 2 years on normal use with 500 charging cycles.

The iPhone 6S has a 1810 mAh battery which is small so after 1 year, the battery health should have drop to maybe around 90%.
The battery status after charging and shows 100% indicates that it reached 1810 mAh but once you take it off the charger. Old batteries will not hold it at 1810 mAh too long and will drop quickly. Just like some of us elderly member that can’t hold it. 🤣

Something doesn’t sound right when it turn itself off at room temperature when it is fully charged. You might was have it checked out.

- Is the phone warm/hot while charging?

- Is the front screen flat? Place the phone face down on a flat surface and see if it rocks. If it rocks or you can spin it, the battery has swelled.

Time for a new battery. It cost about $40 - $75 to have the battery changed.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would concur with @BCW  the phones analysis is good. I have changed numerous iPhone batteries on iPhones SE and downwards. Some hold, some are just not as good.....some are definitely a generic battery and some "appear" to be Apple OEM. 

You could take it to an Apple Store and let them run their diagnostics on it. 

But before you take it any where you never know how good a complete reset will to for you.

So here is what I would do:

Make sure it has the most recent iOS on it. 

Back it up to iTunes on a computer.

Do a complete reset on it.

Restore it from the iTunes back up. 

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels hi I had an Iphone 6 years ago if it is acting up like that it may be the battery but the amount of money to get it fixed is probably not worth it , shouldn't be to hard finding a cheap newer phone 

BCW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

We have three iphones and I find that the battery status works very well and gives accurate information on the battery capacity.

I your iphone as 100% of battery capacity the problem is elsewhere.

Make sure the iphone is up to date with ios.

Need Help? Let's chat.