cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Calling from Canada for 1 day

Gagliano
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there

I have to have a 1 hour phone call to America tomorrow from my home in Vancouver. What is the best way to do this? Can you purchase an addon and after 1 day cancel it and be charged only the pro-rated amount? 1/30*price

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Gagliano  I talk with a buddy in Florida for hours using google Hangouts app using wifi. Other apps also work.  Cheers

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If you do get add-on you can carry it for years it never expires. I'm sure you will have opportunity to use it later

@Gagliano the addon, will not expire and stay on your account until used up. A better addon may be the $15 400 minute international add on. Since you can also use it from within Canada to call family in any of these destinations.

400 International Long Distance minutes $15
Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.
Here's an article on how to buy an addon. It's a 2 step process. Add The funds and then select the add on. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can use VoIP services like TextNow or hangouts.

TextNow will give you free Canadian number with free USA and Canada calling.

With hangouts you can set your cell as outbound call, do it will seem as if you're calling from your public mobile phone. I had calls longer than one hour with TextNow and fongo. I don't remember if I ever had it with hangouts.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @Gagliano 

You will need to buy "200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes" its 8$ to make the call to USA.

Can you purchase an addon and after 1 day cancel it and be charged only the pro-rated amount?

No, its prepaid services. You will need to pay before using addons. They are not pro-rated in any way.

If you add the 200mins addon and only use 1hour(60mins) your unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.

Cheers

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have wi-fi then you could apps like Fongo, Skype, or TextNow to call LD.

You could buy a LD calling card available at most convenience stores.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Gagliano No, you have to buy an addon. Can't cancel it and get a partial refund.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Gagliano wrote:

Hi there

I have to have a 1 hour phone call to America tomorrow from my home in Vancouver. What is the best way to do this? Can you purchase an addon and after 1 day cancel it and be charged only the pro-rated amount? 1/30*priceThanks

I'm pretty sure the answer to that question would be no.

To further explain - if you think about it, if using the add-on that @hairbag1  mentioned (200 mins. for $8) as an example, the usage wouldn't be 1/30 of the addon, but assuming a 60min. phone call, would be 60/200, or .3 of the add-on, or $2.40 out of the $8, so should PM refund you(because this is a prepaid service) $5.60!? I think it just makes a wee bit more sense to buy the add-on, use it for that phone call, and then have about 140 more minutes left to use at a later date....

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes...$8

Need Help? Let's chat.