cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am travelling to US for 30days, looking for help..

Punya
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Folks,

i am on urgent trip to US for 30days. Need help on switching to a adequate plan or get perfect add-on mix during my stay for staying connected. Am on  basic plan now.

-Is switching to 50 Cad plan with 10 GB data plus unlimited call / text to US and Canada is perfect 

or

- opting for mix of data and talk- text plan would be appropriate, am concerned with duration 240hrs or 10 days, which require me to top up the add-on.

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Punya 

I suggest you get a Mint Mobile or Tello Mobile prepaid plan while you are in the USA or use WhatsApp for VoIP through wifi.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The advantage of the roaming add-ons is that you keep your number.

A workaround for that is to get one of those voip apps and forward your Public number to that then remove the sim before you leave or don't let it connect to a US tower as that returns forwarding to default. But then you need the internet to use it. Either wifi which is everywhere or some other cell data service.

If you call out then the recipient would see that voip number.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

30 days is too long, too much $$ and too much hassle and headaches with timing and the system etc. I would recommend a US prepaid option and/or voip app

@Punya wrote:

In that case, would there be a better or cheaper option to buy a International calling card for text rather than topping up three times in a month under PM. For data, is it advisable to put us roaming data through PM or would there be a better option from  a US provider?

@Punya  I do not suggest to buy roaming add-ons.  You have to re-buy every 10 days (and you need to wait a day to re-buy or you need to open a ticket with PM support if you need to re-buy within waiting for the day)

for calling and text, use VoIP app like TextNow.  You need need Wifi.  You will get a new phone number like a mobile number.  You use the app to calls and text and you receive calls on your app (people call you like a normal number, they won't know you are using VoIP)

If you want data, check local US prepaid data.  Since you are there for 30 days, get 1GB  or 5GB and it will be easier than buying from PM every 10 days.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

There's an unfortunate thing in the system where buying the same add-on again needs to wait up to 24 hours. Or that you would need to ask the support people to do that for you at any time.

A workaround is to buy one of the bundles at an exact hour so that you can keep track of the 240 hours. Then 240 hours later and when it stops working, you buy the other bundle. Do not buy anything with talk before that 240 hours.

You can buy different data add-ons any time. Just not the same one because you can't anyway.

Punya

* read call for international calling card

Punya

So every 10 days I need to top up the add-on to stay connected? 
can I purchase the add-on after arriving in the airport using airport wifi.

In that case, would there be a better or cheaper option to buy a International calling card for text rather than topping up three times in a month under PM. For data, is it advisable to put us roaming data through PM or would there be a better option from  a US provider?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Punya   You only choice is to getting US roaming add-on.  But they are 10 days per.  So, you have to buy at least 3 times to cover the 30 days trip.  It's a bit trouble and VERY costly.

US data is cheap, why not get prepaid data from US.  Then use VoIP phone to make free calls back to Canada.  Easier, cheaper and more data

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That $50 plan doesn't offer US roaming, only US and Canada talking from Canada. You'd be better off buying a prepaid plan in the US if you're planning for a 30 day trip.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The base plan has no effect on usage in the US other than needing to be active. You would need those 10 day add-ons to use Public. You could use voip apps while connected to wifi or cell data from here or a US provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.