cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlo - e-sim and US travel

dmoll
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am traveling to the US later this month and wondered if anyone had experience using Airlo for data but still being able to receive text messages from PM?  I am wondering what is best options Add-Ons or a data plan where I can use facetime or whatsapp to call anyone I have to call

4 REPLIES 4

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I do something similar, but with a Ubigi e-sim. This will work as you described, however I've noticed that MMS won't work. When someone sends me an MMS picture message i get an error message saying it can't retrieve my messages.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dmoll , I know of friend that have used airlo.  I have not used it myself.  As for incoming SMS, you will be able to receive them while in the US without having to buy any SMS related add-on.  Note that the challenges with US roaming these days is in the calling feature, so data does work fine.  You might want to price out a data roaming add-on against what airlo has to offer.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dmoll - there is mention of Airlo in this post:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/International-phone-plan/m-p/932944

If you can use facetime and whatsapp in wifi, that'd be great. But if you require it outside of wifi, you will require a Data Roaming addon. You can find these to purchase in your My Account or when you call 611 from your device.

Note, Roaming addons last 15 days and start as soon as you add them on your account.

Edit, also note, while in the USA you do not even require a Roaming addon, currently, while in the USA incoming texts should work, but you cannot text any outgoing without a Roaming addon.

Edit 2 punctuation correction above.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@dmoll 

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with Airlo but if you have data with them. You can make calls or texting.

I have TextNow SIM but it will be the same if you have data with them.

Just think of data as wifi when there are no free wifi to connect to.

iMessage, FaceTime and WhatsApp can also work if there is wifi around or on data.

Need Help? Let's chat.