cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-ons

Carole44
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Was about to use my points to purchase add on data for use in U.S.

I noticed some comments re difficulty connecting in the U.S. Reached out to friend in states, no 3G network there since 2022! However, when reading information from Public Mobile, it appears that Telus and AT&T support Public Mobile. I’m a bit confused, don’t want to waste my points, if I can’t connect!

Can someone clarify this please? Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Good to hear. GPS is unrelated to cellular. Using cell data for mapping live navigation might be where you found the connection problem. You can use Google Maps offline with no cellular and still follow your location on the map with GPS on.

Carole44

It worked, connecting to A T&T. Texting was fine, GPS  mostly worked ( connection would come and go). Overall, experience was ok, especially as I used points- but wouldn’t necessarily pay for this level of service. Having said that, it was better than I feared( ie, wouldn’t work at all!). Thanks for your help!

3G here (and 4G and 5G) is all about speed. Roaming partners in the states have shut down their 3G UMTS networks which affects our talk. We can still use 3G UMTS and HSPA and LTE and more recently 5G here. Telus doesn't operate in the states. They (and their little operation called Public Mobile) roam on US provider networks.

Carole44

Thanks! My plan is “low end” so expect that means 3G. If there is no 3 G in the states, wondering how Telus can be used there. Thanks anyway!

Carole44

Thanks!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Carole44 

actually PM now uses both AT&T and T-Mobile for roaming.

Data generally works well.  For voice, you can enable VoLTE or you can connect to T-Mobile and uses its 2G network

and no need to worry about money  🙂  If it really does not work, PM agent will usually help out and put the money back into your account

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Carole44 

As per @dust2dust there is AT&T and T-Mobile down there that Public Mobile work on. I'd say go a head and make the purchase but do it either on the day you leave or day before. It starts the moment it's purchased. And if it doesn't work down where you're going, come back here and we'll help you figure it out. If you don't have the ability, when you come back to Canada, reach back to us here and we'll put you in touch with a customer support agent to explain what happened and request a refund. Now I can't say for sure they'll refund you however you can make a case if they see no usage was done during the time you made the purchase till you got back. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you have a modern phone running 4G LTE or 5G then text and data will be fine. Talk is where it varies. If your phone has been enabled for volte here then talk will be fine. If not then the phone needs to be able to switch down to 2G GSM and that is only provided by T-Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.