cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation Time

aalesber
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a plan with fido, and it restarts the 15th of every month. Today is the 5th. If i activate my PM sim card now, would i be paying for a cycle that starts as of today - and have two plans going on at once? Or would it better to wait until the last few days of the fido billing cycle to activate my PM sim card?

4 REPLIES 4

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@aalesber 

It's definitely better to wait until the last few days of the fido billing cycle to activate your PM sim card. 

Make sure you are completely ready to activate here in the interim.  You'll need:

1. A new Public Mobile SIM card
  2. An email address which serves as your username
  3. A compatible mobile device for use with public mobile -- almost any device will work unless it's extremely old or a non North American version
  4. A Canadian credit card or Visa debit
  5. Your Fido SIM card in your existing device to receive a port authorization during activation
  6. A referral code from a current public mobile customer to give you a $10 bill credit ( this item isn't necessary but hey, it's free money!!!)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aalesber 

Really it depends on your the type of account with fido. If its postpaid without a contract or device subsidy then you can port out when you like and your plan amount will be prorated....meaning you only pay for the days you have used in your monthly plan.

In a month with 30 days if you pay $45/month and ported out on the 9th and your plan starts on the 15th you will be charged for 25 days of service. $45÷30 days=$1.50/day so 25 days ×$1.50= $37.50+tax will be your prorated monthly bill plus any extra billing like add ons or long distance charges if they are not included in your plan.

Your postpaid account will automatically be cancelled and closed once you port your number out so be sure to log into your account before you do so to remove payment info, download bills, usage etc....that you may not be able to access once they close your account. Do not request cancellation yourself if you intend on keeping your phone number and porting it to pm. If you have an older model phone that you originally purchased thru fido/Rogers ensure it is unlocked. You can test this with another providers sim card if it works then you are good to go.

If you have a prepaid account with fido then you must ensure it is active before porting your number out. It's best to activate your pm sim card with at least 2 or 3 days remaining in your 30 days of service with fido. You can activate with a temporary number and ensure all you pm services are working and then port your number in thru the change number feature in your pm self serve account.

Or you can port in during activation by checking the authorized to port box during activation on the phone number page and entering the following info:

1. Full name on your fido account.
  2. Phone # to be ported.
  3. Fido account #.
  4. Alternate phone #. (Optional...but if you have a landline, spouse, parent, kid, work # use it.)

Keep your fido sim card in your phone to reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 mintues of receiving it. Then put your pm sim card back in your phone and the port will complete within a few minutes to a maximum of 2 hours.

Once your fido sim card stops working and account is closed your port has completed and you all services working on your pm sim card with your phone #. (Incoming calling is always the last service to complete during porting.)

Don't forget to enter your friends referral code for the $10 bonus credit and any promocode you may have (usually only $35+ plans like the 2GBBONUS promocode) on the 4th page of the activation portal.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@aalesber   Yes, you can wait, but you have to make sure you have enough time in case there is any porting issue.  

Line must be active for it to port out.  Usually porting goes through without much issue , as long as you remember to wait for the text from the old provider and reply YES within 90 minutes.   I would say give yourself 2 or even 3 days would be enough.

@aalesber wrote:

I have a plan with fido, and it restarts the 15th of every month. Today is the 5th. If i activate my PM sim card now, would i be paying for a cycle that starts as of today - and have two plans going on at once? Or would it better to wait until the last few days of the fido billing cycle to activate my PM sim card?

You can activate a Public Mobile service whenever you wish. As to how Fido charges you, that can differ depending whether you're a prepaid or a postpaid Fido customer.  Public Mobile's plan start as soon as you activate and you have to pay before you can use the service.

Need Help? Let's chat.