cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account activation - Trouble getting 6 number code because sends to old outdated number

joebloecat1994
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I bought a phone for a friend who was living on the streets a while ago. He is dead now and I have no idea where that phone ended up.

I just got a new sim card and tried to activate it. I chose my number and all, but now in order to complete the activation and use my phone, I have to verify with a code that was sent to my late friend's number which I dont have access to.

I dont have the option to send it to an email adress. Ive changed the password and even managed to change the recovery phone number to one which I have access to. But to enter the account officially, they still ask me the code they sent to my late friend's phone.

Any way around this? Im considering just buying a sim card from another company if it's too long or complicated

20 REPLIES 20

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@joebloecat1994 

Lucky you....you have the advantage of a more competitive mobile marketplace in Quebec and the Ottawa/Hull (Gatineau) region. I would probably do the same in your situation and if  I didn't have an unbeatable monthly bill amount on my 2 main accounts ($0!!)

@J_PM 

One of a myriad of reasons eversafe and its roll out could be the deathnell of Public mobile.

🤔🐈🤪

joebloecat1994

So they didn't want to reimburse the 10$ card and it seemed like a hassle. Like just having a secondary email setup just for this with constant 2 way identification. I just got a fizz card and it was activated without issue within 1h. The plans are cheaper and they offer 4G per default compared to 3G with public.

With what I'm saving monthly, the sim card will be paid in 2 months haha.

Thanks all,

-Bryan

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@joebloecat1994 

The issue you are experiencing is caused by eversafe associating your email to the old account. You should have used a new email. You will need to give customer support a new email address as there is no way around the secondary verification code screen. If necessary ask customer support to set up a new account for you. Worst case scenario if a new Sim card needs to be purchased and activated with a new phone number and plan to get immediate service ask for that account to be credited with amount you paid to activate it ($10 Sim card + plan).

This is what happens when you don't properly beta test eversafe before rolling it out on your unsuspecting customers. 

joebloecat1994

I think I'll just write to an angent and keep you guys updated so you know what happen in this particular situation. 

I was even able, on the 1st set of digits with my email, to get my password changed. There I could access a page where I could only change a little bit of information. I added my roommate's phone number as a recovery number thinking this would make the problem go away. His number only worked for the 1st set of digits, after that they still asked for a 6digits that was sent to the deactivated phone -_-

joebloecat1994

Yeah, I wrote to CS and will keep you guys updated. I was worried as I thought there was absolutely zero customer service with public (I think the guy at Telus selling me the SIM just wanted to scare me into buying with him).

Wow. It's a kick in the nuts when you have the bases loaded and nobody out and still lose the game. Oh well.

I know this is going to sound stupid but...  and this will be my last train of thought as I have no idea why the system is doing this....  but I'd just keep hitting didn't get the code and keep sending it to your email. Do that several times and if you have to do it a 4th time consecutively, I'm dumbfounded and like @Handy1 said in the second post, it might be best to send a PM to a CS Agent. 

joebloecat1994

Can't even see my account. I enter the 6 digit code that they send to my email, then when I enter it I get the 1st screenshot in my other message asking me another code that was sent to the deactivated number.

Go jays!!

OK. I think I know where you are now. So are you seeing the account information...  like you're in the Overview section? Or can you not get into your account at all. Cause if you are able to at least see your account, I know exactly what you need to do....   sorry..  9th inning of Blue Jays game...  I'll run back and forth to help. LOL

joebloecat1994

I've tried it already. I do get to the page you are showing after I clear my cache or use incognito mode or another browser. But then they still ask me to confirm a second series of 6 digit code using the old deactivated phone number.

edit: I've even tried with ticking the box of ''this is a trusted device'' or not ticking it (with a fresh cache). I still get to that deactivated phone number code after the email codes

Look at my answer below. Click on Resend Code a few times and choose email....

OK. Try this. Go to your browser settings and clear the cache. Then close browser and start again. This will send you to this again and do the same thing by Resend Code and click email. This should work this time.

joebloecat1994

Yes I have access to my personal email which was used in this account. This part in your screenshots I can get passed, they send a code to my email and I confirm. I was even able to setup a recovery phone number which is different than my late friend's number.  Then they ask again for finishing my setup or wtv, and I get to this page where the only option is to enter the code they sent to my old number (my late friend's, the number that was deactivated automatically in august 2022). I can resend an infinity of codes, but there is no option to do anything else on the page. There's some screenshots:

Screenshot 2023-08-29 PubMob.pngScreenshot 2023-08-29 PubMob2.png

Once again, do you still have access to that email you set up his account with? I understand you used your personal email but if can access it still, then there is a way.

If you can access your personal email you used, try this.

KennethJAdams_0-1693359321734.png

Then, the next window that pops up is this.

KennethJAdams_1-1693359321640.png

Click on Send Email....

joebloecat1994

It was prepaid so no service has been provided without charge. I set it up for him using my personal email. There is clearly some bug as the number they are sending me the code is the 1year outdated number that my friend had. 

My new sim card is setup, I picked up a new phone number and picked my plan. The charges appear on my credit card balance. Worst comes to worst I can call my bank and cancel that as I've received no service at all. Ill just loose the 10$ sim card and can setup with a company like lucky mobile

Hey Joe. With that being said... there's a good chance the account was cancelled if it lapsed more than 90 days and wasn't paid. I think you may just need to collect your losses with the account and start fresh. It sucks but...  wait, he used your email address? Do you still have access to that email address?

@joebloecat1994 Support should reply with in hour . Note hours 9am -10PM EST

joebloecat1994

It was under his name with my email adress. He was illiterate and lived on the streets. No credit card linked, he was supposed to get prepaid card from stores everymonth altough I don't think he ever did. We payed him a couple months in advance but that was it. 

joebloecat1994

Do they reply quickly these days or it will be handled in days/weeks? I really need an active phone soon as I thought it would take 15min to activate

joebloecat1994

I do this but then it's here where I am blocked. I have no option not to have the code or not to have access to my old number which is a bit stupid

Screenshot 2023-08-29 PubMob2.pngScreenshot 2023-08-29 PubMob.png

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@joebloecat1994  please submit ticket with support to help straighten it out for you 

send a  private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

My bad. I hit the cut and paste realizing it was the wrong one. 

As @Handy1 said, reach out to an agent. 

But just some back story though. You purchased the phone and account for your friend. Did you sign up and everything under your name and credit card number too?

Need Help? Let's chat.