cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to SMS while outside of Canada

nkays
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a way I can access incoming text messages while I am outside of Canada? I am outside of Canada and trying to request a OTP so I can log into something but I can't receive the SMS because Public Mobile does not roam outside of Canada or the US.

I know some network providers have a portal that allows you to send and receive SMS's. I don't see this option on Public Mobile.

Please help.

7 REPLIES 7

@HALIMACS wrote:

@nkays 

As far as I am aware, the only country that you can receive texts outside of Canada, without an add-on, is the USA.

This is only 'receive', you cannot 'send' unless the applicable US roaming add-on is purchased. 

Your are correct with the above point.

@LoveNature wrote:

Hi @nkays 

if you are in US, you need to buy Add-ons to you can use the service, other country no service for PM.

In the context of this message thread, the above information isn't correct.  The customer was asking about incoming text messages, and while in the U.S., no add-on is required to receive text messages.  Also, the  customer is already aware that roaming isn't available outsie fo the U.S. and is asking about receiving those text messages while outside of Canada and the U.S.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@nkays  Public mobile only works in Canada and USA with add-on anywheres else in the world you need local sim in your destination I would even suggest this for the USA also and not rely on roaming at all cheaper and more reliable in my opinion depending on how long the duration of your trip 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@nkays wrote:

but I can't receive the SMS because Public Mobile does not roam outside of Canada or the US.

@nkays 

True, PM does NOT have roaming other than US.  Sound like you are not in Canada or US, so you won't get the OTP 

I know some network providers have a portal that allows you to send and receive SMS's. I don't see this option on Public Mobile.

Within Tier 3 providers, only Chatr provide full roaming service.  Of course, Tier 2 and Tier 1 all have roaming service everywhere

Since it is a PM's roaming limitation, there is really nothing you can do.  If you decide to stay with PM, you have to contact the banks/services that send the OTP and check if they have other means of 2FA.  Would be nice if they use Authenticator app., it would be best and safest.  Using email or calls (and use VoIP phone number) would be a short terms workaround.  

Of course, you might want to change provider if ability to roam is critical to you.  You might consider moving to Koodo or Telus as they both provider full roaming service using the same great network

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@nkays 

As far as I am aware, the only country that you can receive texts outside of Canada, without an add-on, is the USA.

This is only 'receive', you cannot 'send' unless the applicable US roaming add-on is purchased. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you have the sim with you and you're out of country then it would be quite a process to set up. If you left the sim in Canada then a little less process. It's quite a bit of a process though.

No there's no nice slick way to forward texts like you can calls (adding - which would need to be set up with the sim in Canada anyway).

LoveNature
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @nkays 

if you are in US, you need to buy Add-ons to you can use the service, other country no service for PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.