cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G service

Patti24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! The provider and area I currently live in claims to have 5G service, but usually I only get 3G- occasionally 4G.
Your map showing my address says it is 5G service.
If I’m paying for the 5G plan but only get 3 or 4G service, how does Public Mobile handle that?
How do I contact Public Mobile if I can’t find an answer in the community, or there is an issue that I have no control over that has to be fixed from your end? Thanks! Patti 

9 REPLIES 9

@Patti24  If this is iPhone go to phone settings. >cellular >cellular data options > voice & data > and select 4G/LTE 

Handy1_0-1720925631115.png

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Patti24 wrote:

Okay- but I’m not sure where it is that I alter the settings to 4G/LTE on my phone. Can you tell me where to do it? Thanks! 

iPhone 7 does not support 5G, i don't see you need to change any settings.  Your phone should be showing LTE or 4G already. isn't that what showing on the network status on top?

Patti24

Okay- but I’m not sure where it is that I alter the settings to 4G/LTE on my phone. Can you tell me where to do it? Thanks! 

@Patti24 

Speed test

https://www.speedtest.net/apps

use the link above to do speed test . But turn off wifi and set phone to 4G/LTE this way your just testing the speed of your plan data 

Patti24

Do you mean the same speed test that I use for my router/modem?    Well now…. Isn’t THAT interesting….my Virgin plan jumped up in price a couple of years ago, (like $8-10 a month I think it was) and when I phoned to ask why, they said “it’s for 5G service.’ I laughed at him and said, “Seriously??? 5G? I’m LUCKY if I even get 3G most of the time! If 5G is available, then why doesn’t it ever show up on my phone? That’s when he finally admitted: “well it’s not really ‘built’ yet.” 😳😳😳

I said, “So, you’re telling me that I have to pay MORE for the crappy service I get, to money roll YOUR INFRASTRUCTURE, so all the people in urban areas get 5G, and rural folks still get the same old 3G??? 😳 SORRY. I don’t think so. That’s not going to happen. That’s essentially nothing but a PONZI SCHEME you’re running!!!”         And not ONCE did he ever say, or have I ever been told by anyone at Virgin that iPhone 7’s don’t support 5G. UNBELIEVABLE the way they scam people. Everybody out there is paying for 5G service that the phone companies  so smoothly added onto bills, regardless of whether or not  they can even ACCESS 5G!! Thank you for telling me this!! I really appreciate it. I’m going to be spreading the word about this to inform people, that’s for sure. So underhanded and sneaky. 🙄🤬 Let me know if the router test is the one you mean. If not, how do I run the test you’re talking about? Thanks!! Patti 

@Patti24  That’s why you iPhone 7 is not 5G capable phone . You need iPhone 12 and up for 5G with Apple 

@Patti24 iPhone 7 does not support 5G .

But PM plans are just about speed, your 5G plans allows you to enjoy "5G speed",  as much as 200Mbps, when even you are connected on the 4G network.  You might get 1 or 2 bars but your speed could still be good. Download a speed test app and check how fast you have when you are on 4G network 

Patti24

I have an iPhone 7. I’m with Virgin (they use the Bell Towers) and I have never had more than the tiniest bit of bar showing. The last few weeks, I’ve also been having issues with my Internet Service Provider as well, with the Internet being dropped. So when that occurs, 1 of 2 things happen. 1) it switches from wifi over to (usually) 3G, or- (and this is what really concerns me…)

2) Even when the wifi icon remains on my screen the tech told me that if the ‘loading’ icon is spinning beside it (which it is pretty much 90% of the time lately) then it might be using my DATA to connect. 🤦‍♀️ Something ELSE to worry about now. 🙄

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Patti24  Do you happened to have Samsung s20 ? This could be the issues . Also you have voice and data set to 5G ? And you have 5G capable phone ?

Need Help? Let's chat.