cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G not working, Burnaby BC Area

Jenniyah_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I checked the 5G map and my area shows as compatible, my phone is a S22 Ultra Samsung and it allows 5G.

But my download speeds are horrible, i'm only getting .045MB/sec to 1.3MB/Sec.

I signed up for the new $35 dollar US/Canada 5G plan. 

Is this a phone setting issue? 

I hav eit set to 5G/LET/WCDMA/GSM (Auto Conect) 

4 REPLIES 4

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jenniyah_ 

Go to your "about phone" settings and find your signal strength which is expressed as "-xxx dBm". Note that it is a negative number. If it is less than -115 dBM, you are in a weak signal area. If you plan to use gobs of data while traveling in the United States, keep your plan. Other the other hand, if you intend to spend 95% of your time using your phone in that particular weak signal area, what's the point of paying for something that you really can't use?

I'm in the same situation in a different town and I use a cheaper PM plan ($19 4G 1GB) and spend my money on unlimited and fast Wi-Fi internet. 

Your PM plan is month month, so you can always change on renewal to a more appropriate plan. Good luck.

PS Telus recently announced that they will be spending about $74 million in upgrades in the Burnaby area. When this will take place and whether or not it helps your particular case is unknown. Good luck.

@Jenniyah_  Is it the same when you are out and about, or just at home?  My phone gets LTE in the house but 5G outdoors, 5G doesn't penetrate buildings as well.  But did you try LTE as suggested?  Being on a 5G plan means that 4G/LTE is not limited to 100Mbps like a 4G plan would be, and the signal strength could be better.  If still no better then submit a ticket to support at the chat icon bottom right of this page.

Jenniyah_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If that's the case... would the service team here allow someone to downgrade to the other new customer promo offer? Or I'm stuck w/ the higher price plan? I only got the pricier one for the 5G. 

@Jenniyah_ wrote:

I checked the 5G map and my area shows as compatible, my phone is a S22 Ultra Samsung and it allows 5G.

But my download speeds are horrible, i'm only getting .045MB/sec to 1.3MB/Sec.

I signed up for the new $35 dollar US/Canada 5G plan. 

Is this a phone setting issue? 

I hav eit set to 5G/LET/WCDMA/GSM (Auto Conect) 

This wouldn't be a phone setting issue.  More likely, this is network signal strength or network congestion issue.  I know that this isn't ideal, but if you temporarily try the LTE network, are speeds any bettter?

Need Help? Let's chat.