cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G or not?

LesPublic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Public Mobile Community ...I have been a public customer since early January 2023. Since I have activated my Boxing Day Sale special 4G service I have yet to receive a 4G signal and only have had 3G. I have travelled far and while around Vancouver and have never had 4G service. I have rebooted and tried for 4G many times even standing next to friends that are receiving a Telus 4G signal. Can you help? Les

14 REPLIES 14

LesPublic

Thanks... yes menus sound the same.. "SIM status" .... Service State: In Service Signal Strength 101 dBm 18 asu Mobile voice network type: UMTS and Mobile data network type :HSPA  .... made the 611 call ... with not change but the strength vary. One thing wierd maybe Mobile network State: Disconnected. Flipped SIMS no change.

From what I can see here:

https://umidigi.com/page-umidigi_a11_specification.html

the phone should be fine.

If your menus are anything like mine: can you go to to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status and what do you have for Mobile voice network type for that sim? UMTS? LTE? And Mobile data network type? If it says unknown then turn on your mobile data. Switch to the sim that's working and what do you have there? Keep this open and make a call (like 611 or something) and go back to that screen and for that sim see what it says if it did not say UMTS before.

LesPublic

4G is can only be reached on the other SIM card ... swapping over doesn't fix ... and before January the phone ran 4G on both SIMS before I switched to PUBLIC. During calls or text or data ... it's only 3G... in never switches ... Speedtest Pings at 39ms with download of 29.62 via SHAW / Urbanfibre in Burnaby. 

Some dual SIM phones can only use 4G in one of the SIM slots. You might need to swap the PM SIM to the other slot.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LesPublic 

Can you connect to 4G with only the PM sim in your phone? 

Also there might be an option in the connection settings for “dual 4G”, do you have that on? 

@LesPublic wrote:

...yet still only 3G shows on phone status ...

I agree with wetcoaster on your wording and perhaps understanding. Phone calls will drop to 3G. Waiting for a phone call will stay on 4G. Data and text will be on 4G.

And yes this will change when volte arrives.

If you have an android then you can check another spot for what the phone is doing on a call.

@LesPublic wrote:

Thanks .... 4G calling is enabled and the Preferred network type is 4G...yet still only 3G shows on phone status ... I have 2 SIMS and the other is showing 4G status on another network ... so it's not the phone.... it's Public.

I still don't see a clear answer to the question if you see 3G only when placing a voice call or all the time (for text and data as well)?

While apparently working on it in the background, Public Mobile has not yet rolled out VoLTE to their entire customer base (there are some reports from people that seem to see it on their device, but I'd guess that the majority still doesn't, and there's definitely no official announcement from PM management on timeline so far...)

So your phone with PM SIM will drop down to 3G for voice calls until further notice. You can leave 4G calling (= VoLTE ) on, eventually the feature will be active from the network side as well and show on your phone accordingly.

LesPublic

Great idea... it look a while until Public was seen but it still shows 3G only... yet the other SIM shows 4G,,, I will try to submit a ticket.. Thanks

LesPublic

UMIDIGI A11... running Android 11... I don't see a LTE option... just 3G 4G options and 4G is checked 

@LesPublic can you try swap the 2 sims on the 2 slots and see if 4G works?

if nothing work, definitely open ticket with P.M support for further investigation 

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

LesPublic

Thanks .... 4G calling is enabled and the Preferred network type is 4G...yet still only 3G shows on phone status ... I have 2 SIMS and the other is showing 4G status on another network ... so it's not the phone.... it's Public.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@LesPublic do you see LTE showing?? LTE=4G

if it shows on 3G on phone status, check if 4G or automatic or LTE is selected as Preferred network type or  Network mode on your phone 

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you seeing LTE on your phone?  LTE and 4g are the same thing.  Are you doing a speed test and don't see the speed you're expecting?  If your phone is showing 3g maybe it needs to be changed in the carrier settings of your phone.  What phone are you using?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Make and model of phone? Do you mean while on a call? Can you set your phone to 4G LTE?

Need Help? Let's chat.